PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
I am looking for an African meerschaum pipe. What I have in mind is a classical shape with a rusticated surface and stained (the way Peterson used to make). Is there anyone making these currently? Anywhere where NOS ones are for sale?

Thank you very much.

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
They are are many estate African meers on eBay, often at reasonable prices. Search for Jambo, Pioneer, Nording, Manx, Laxey meerschaum. yo0u could try Etsy also.

I picked this Pioneer up for $26 and a quick cleanup did this.
pioneer-600x600.jpg

And she smokes like a dream.

I also have a more traditional one like you are looking for but I don't have a current picture.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
As far as I know, there is no more African meerschaum, the mines were exhausted. I don't have absolute conformation on that.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I believe the Countryman brand uses/used african meer, Tanganyika if I remember correctly. I think I have seen a pipe go for GBP 75 on ebay the other day. I may be also able to find you an estate around here, I say a country man at an antique dealer before Easter.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have an older African straight Dublin Peteson Meer that I would be happy to trade. It's not in the rotation so probably better it goes to a new home.
Looks like this one but the coloring on mine is much more even.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PETERSON-S-TANZANIAN-MEERSCHAUM-PIPE-DUBLIN-RARE/392291173466?hash=item5b5660445a:g:TYgAAOSwj4VczvVu

Status
Not open for further replies.