PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjsachs

Lurker
May 5, 2013
Ohio
I am pretty new to pipe smoking and just bought a Leonessa Bent Dublin with a sandblast finish. Any pointers on how to get it broke in? What to do, and not to do? Also do you know of any problems I may run into, with this pipe in particular? Also I'd be glad to hear about any problems you faced when you first began smoking a pipe and how I can avoid them! :puffpipe:

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Sound advice from Roth, a man who 'knows his onions' when it come to all matters relating to pipes and pipe tobaccos. My only additional comment is to immerse yourself in the forums here. Even experienced pipers can still learn a lot.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I agree with Roth, also when you are learning to smoke a pipe don't be afraid to put it down when it gets hot. If the wood gets too hot to hold, then put it down for a few minutes and relight later. Eventually you will get a good rhythm and be able to regulate the temp better, until then just put a hot pipe down, otherwise you run the risk of cracking the briar.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Also I'd be glad to hear about any problems you faced when you first began smoking a pipe and how I can avoid them!
I first essayed pipe smoking in college. That was in the early '70's when long hair was the fashion and I had a long thick luxuriant crop of black wavy hair.
I was bent over the bowl of my pipe, earnestly puffing like crazy to get a bowl started, my hair dangling, when the flame from my wooden match flared upward and cremated a chunk of my hair.
Time has removed any concerns over a recurrence. My hairline has migrated to samurai contours.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Couldn't resist this opportunity for a little humor here...
Yes, plenty of advice!
First, put a shirt on, in the instance that a hot ash may jump out of your pipe if you accidentally exhale.
Second, don't pose in a photo with mountings of dead fish or animals in the background. Many women don't understand the male need for this.
Third, aren't you the kid I tried to pull over for speeding last night?
:nana:
All in fun. Welcome to the forums. Great bunch here, always willing and ready to help. Enjoy the new pastime.

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
Welcome cjsachs! You will find out everything you need to know about pipes and tobacco here, as well as advice about putting on a shirt..LOL you may burn the livin daylights out of yourself :wink:

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Welcome..When you put that shirt on remember..The reason is because something sooner or later is going to burn.Better the shirt than you.So make it a shirt that you're not all that fond of.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
My advice is to load up your pipe, light it up and enjoy. Don't over think the process and unless you're at a pipe/cigar lounge with other individuals around; I wouldn't worry about if you're doing it wrong. With anything you learn from experience and practice, so get smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.