PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
I need to make an order from Lil Brown for something they carry at the best price so I figured I'd wade through their dense and poorly designed website to see if I could find some pipe tobak ponies under the piles of poop.
They actually have a pretty decent selection but I was going for classics and/or highly rated belnds. No Latakia and no aros. (Except a modest concession in the case of the Erinmore Flake)
Here's what's in the cart.
Any advice, comments, etc?
ORLIK Golden Sliced 50g. Tin
McCLELLAND Blkwoods Flake 50g
PETERSON Irish Flake 50g
ERINMORE FLAKE 50g. Tin
BLAKENEY Bayou Slice 50g
MAC BAREN Burley 1oz (Same as Golden. Certainly not a "classic" but well reviewed and I wanted a fairly straight burley to try)

rover

Lurker
Feb 18, 2010
I'd like to know how that Orlick goes for you. I've tried it twice and really enjoyed it both times, but it seems to burn hotter somehow. I believe i'm toking at my usual rate, just not sure whats happening. Anyway, it does have a good flavor. Enjoy!

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Unless you've got a pipe dedicated to aromatics or cob, you might want to hold off on the Erinmore. I've only had the mixture, but got so worried about ghosting that I pawned it off on friend of mine along with a Kaywoodie I hated.
The Orlik Golden Sliced is good. I don't know if it'll bite you or not; it never did for me. It's a good quality tobacco and you'll probably wish you'd gotten 100 grams like all shrewd judges would. Another Orlik blend that I like but can't find is Dark Kentucky. (Formerly Dark Strong Kentucky.) If you ever see a tin of it, I don't think you'll go wrong in buying it.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Appreciate the advice Matt. I added a 5%4 cob to the order just for the Erinmore. I figure I can always use it to smoke the Altadis coconut, cherry, whip cream watermelon surprise or whatever the hell it is that P&C sent me as a freebie.
I have a hunch about the Erinmore. And like some of the reviews say a newbie should try some kind of Erinmore and this one has been around for ages. If nothing else I can sit back pipe in hand and say "Oh yes, yes indeed Erinmore flake. Never took to it much. I found it Blah blah blah..." and sound like I know what I'm talking about!

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
If nothing else I can sit back pipe in hand and say "Oh yes, yes indeed Erinmore flake. Never took to it much. I found it Blah blah blah..." and sound like I know what I'm talking about!
Sounds like someone's been browsing www.tobaccoreviews.com. That's about how half the reviews sound to me, not that I could sum things up much better.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Ya caught me. Yeah I read the reviews their a lot and had a good dose yesterday sorting out my order.
Some of those guys are pretty funny. Hey I'm all about the subtleties of fine tobacco but c'mon man there's a difference between discriminating and full of hot air pompous. Great resource though.
Made a last minute addition of Pease Union Station and will now wait patiently for the brown truck.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Hey I'm all about the subtleties of fine tobacco but c'mon man there's a difference between discriminating and full of hot air pompous. Great resource though.
What helps me with that site is reading the positive reviews first, which is the opposite of what I normally do with reviews of any other subject. When doing that, the puffery is easier to spot, plus the plainly worded reviews seem like regular people enjoying good tobacco for what it is.
Enjoy your tobaccos, it'd be nice to know how you like them.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I read TobaccoReviews.com a lot, and the reviewers I appreciate the most are the ones who don't pass judgement -- they merely describe and let me know what I'm in for. For example, tell me if it's an aromatic, flavored, natural. Is it fruity, floral, grassy, spicey, herbal, nutty. I don't really need to hear a "buy/don't-buy" recommendation; just give me some reasonable expectations so I don't anticipate Balkan Sobranie and end up with Tutti-Frutti..

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I agree. Descriptive reviews are much more valuable than those intended to be persuasive.
Phrases like "to me this tastes like..." VS. "clearly superior in every way" are helpful.
Someone here recently used colors to describe the sensation from a blend. I read a few that did the same thing on tobaccoreviews. I personally find these very helpful because I tend to experience tobacco with mental images of color.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Add a 20z of CD Irish bliss from the bulk dept and 20z of the PS Proper English and the PS cubed burly is better than MacBaren unless you like the honey topping .I myself would pass on the Erinmore .

Status
Not open for further replies.