PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Well when I purchased a 1920-30's era pipe the other day, the gent at the counter asked me a few questions.
"You collect pipes? Yes I really enjoy them. What do you do with them? Clean them to smoke able condition, and use them. Know anyone the fixes pipes? I do, at least minor repairs, and make pipes to. You make them, how about the stems? Yes, and stems are performed I just shape them down to fit a pipe."
He then goes on to tell me he has a bunch of pipes he got in a estate purchase, asked me if I would like to look through them. You guys already know that answer. I go through looking at them and he's asking which ones would be worth anything, how much certain ones would go for. I tell him it varies as a lot of folks won't but a pipe that has a cracked bowl, some won't buy a pipe that looks as bad as the ones he has, that they would need restoring. We talked for a good hour setting around a table digging through the first box. Which was mostly just the loose pipes, broken ones and a bunch with no stems. He has 3 more boxes with them being wrapped in paper. Saturday is going to be a full day. He asked me if I would restore them to sellable condition and he would split the sales with me. I say sure that would be cool, or just let me pick out some pipes as we go through them. Well here is the first batch waiting to be cleaned up.
e77a05f92f9276789cdbe5e20a541336_zps68b9928a.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Good Lord.
Aren't you sitting in the catbid's seat?
I see five I'd glom onto in a heartbeat and who knows what you'll see come Saturday?
Sure, they're mostly production burners, but they're also some of the best production pipes ever made. (Several my tired eyes can't even make out.)
Good on you, Jeep! I know you'll do right by him.
Fnord

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Very nice!! There's bound to be a bunch of dogs, but there should be a number of them that will be very nice. Good luck and happy hunting! :)

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Very nice lot there. Had something similar happen to me awhile back at an antique store. Girl had a box full that she hadn't put out because she had to research them. I saved her the trouble and bought two off of her. A Peterson Sherlock Holmes and a Big Sorren Freehand. I got a deal because I was so helpful and she got a better understanding of the value of pipes.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Very intriguing thread. Can't wait to see what the other boxes have in store! Keep us posted please...

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
What condition is the Barling's Make in? Is there an issue with the stem? Is it the original stem?

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Pipebaum81 and Dottie I will use this thread to post what we find. I'm really interested in what all he has.
Shaintiques I hear ya one that one. Having money is great and all but the adventure on helping someone is even more so.
Ae1pt the bamboo isn't a kaywoodie, it is Tanganyika meer from what I could find on it. Needs cleaning really bad. The previous user let cake build up in it, and has a few small chips on it. If I get permission I will post all the ones I sell in our trade thread.
Dmcmtk the Barling's make needs a band on it and it doesn't have the original stem. The one you see next to it was crammed into the shank and I believe ties what cracked the shank. Must of been one of the owners favorite smokers. Or just didn't care, from what I can see there was a lot more in the first box I didn't bring back to clean due to being cracked bowls, missing stems.
Fnord thanks for the kind words I hope he does like em after they are cleaned up, and hope they sell well for him.
Looks like I'm going to placing an order for a tenon toll here soon. Trying to turn down the tenons on a wood lathe is hard as heck. Which one is better pimo or the j.h.lowe?

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Not the PIMO.......cant help more than that......yes they can be a PIA
http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/tenon-cutter-blues.22506/
Check out pipe makers forum

Status
Not open for further replies.