Antique store finds! Plus, should I bought a falcon?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Went on a trip with the lady today. Luckily she likes antique stores. So we stopped on our way down to Carrolton. We stopped at a store that had a Falcon. However the bowl was repairable, but I was concerned if the stem was not. That's why I'm asking you guys if it can be done. The metal was broke just before the mouthpiece. Not the supportive structure, the tenon where the smoke/air passes through. Is that repairable? I can stop on the way back and snag it, it's $8. The Kaywoody bulldog with a chip in the scribe was $18. If anyone wants them, I'll stop and we can do a swap. I picked up a Willard Billard (possibly close to an acorn shape) and a dr grabow grand duke tomato shape. Here is a picture of the two.
http://s1377.photobucket.com/component/Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fah65%2Fkelleyalger%2FMobile+Uploads%2Fimage_zpsdwdc23de.jpg

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Unless you have another Falcon broken in a different place, I'd avoid that one. There are no parts available as according to the company the inner tube and mouthpiece can't be disassembled. I love the looks of the Kaywoodie bulldog, but I'm in Canada :-(

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It sounds like you are describing the fluted, round metal draft tube. If that is damaged, 99% of time that cannot be repaired or replaced. On one in 100 Falcons you would pull that tube and stem and put it in the damaged stem, but I'm not sure that has any benefit (besides being darn near impossible). On the other hand, a good Falcon bowl is easily worth $8.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
'Should I have bought a falcon?' The answer is no, you should have fed that abomination of a pipe into a wood chipper and them melted it down before you get a very nasty dose of wearing socks with open toe sandals!

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I think mr SSjones nailed it. Thank you. It was $8. I passed on a very clean, but caked GBD half bent Billard and feel guilty, should I have bought that?

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
It was priced at $25 and there was no metal ring. Just said GBD New Standard. It's not a far drive if it's really worth it to someone. Also had the sock.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, not a ring, but the brass rondell (fixed to the stem). If you snap a camera phone pix of these pipes, it's easier to give the right advice.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pieces_From_My_GBD_Collection
Bottom of the page. Was a bent like that, but had the sock not a case. Had wear on the stamping, most likely from use. The bowl may have been slightly different as well. I remember London England to be on one side of the stem and GBD New Standard on the other side. I didn't see any numbers in it.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Recently got a falcon for $8....bowl is nice after cleaning, as well as the stem. Only trouble I had was the stem. Which, I had been told is pressed on and not supposed to come off but I got it off by sticking it in the freezer then before putting back in using a scotch brite to remove a small amount of the tenon and it fits perfect. It was caked where a pencil wouldn't fit in, stubborn ghost, filled with gunk and all...but was easier than most to clean as I could see everything. No pictures yet, but worth playing with and doesn't smoke badly. Cheap finds, always worth it...later you may need it for parts. Plus, a falcon bowl costs a decent amount anyways. Can always buy a new stem if badly damaged. I've seen pictures on reborn pipes where he took the tenon out....not supposed to but somehow he did. That's my two cents, but....it's really what it's worth to you.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Thought I would add pictures. Removing the mouthpiece, bit, stem, or whatever you'd like to call it....revealed quite a bit of nasty build up and provides for easier cleaning.

1012152106-00_zpsgse6ukvx.jpg

1012152108-00_zpsvyeu0x8z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.