PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Never thought I'd buy a meerschaum pipe; but I just went to a small antique shop in town and bought a Peterson block African Meerschaum pot for €20, just couldn't leave it in the shop. Any advice how to clean up an estate Meerschaum? Its not too dirty, but I want to clean this thing as much as possible. I'll post some photos later on after I've had a chance.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
A piece of advise... be very, very gentle. Try not to get it wet, or use alcohol on the bowl. The stem cleans up like any other, but the meerschaum is better left to just carefully wiping it. I have only restored a handful of meers however, and am not really used to the ins and out. I'm sure a more experienced Meer-Man will chime in.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Lumberjak hit it on the head. Be very gentle. I just restored one that I found at an antique shop, luckily it wasn't very dirty at all, but take extra care on the bowl. For the outside of the bowl, I did nothing but gently scrub it with a dry toothbrush.
As soon as you can get pics up that would be great so we can see the condition, especially what's going on inside the bowl...
Edit- Here's the thread I posted about mine... http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/latest-antique-store-find-need-your-input

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
I just cleaned it enough to have a trial smoke without much difficulty and had a bowl of Nightcap to test it out. The white in the P on the stem was gone, so I gave it the tipp-ex (liquid paper) treatment, which worked very well. Phenomenal smoker, just need to figure out how to redarken the spots that were chipped on the front of the bowl now.
DSCF0491_zpsc9731597.jpg

DSCF0490_zpsf901bbe2.jpg

DSCF0489_zpsd8fb7fb7.jpg

DSCF0478_zps76e5f8c7.jpg

DSCF0488_zps462a9c1a.jpg

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Good job on the logo! Glad to hear it's a great smoker.
Thanks man, it was very easy to do. Does anyone know how old these pipes are? The only marking on this thing is the stem logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.