PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I found 3 pipes today for a few dollars. 2 are similar and say Owl Shop. One of these says Made in London and the other only has France on the stem. I bought 1 but decided to get them to hold the other until tomorrow for me after deciding I wanted both. Their shapes are similar. Not a big risk on my part as these all cost less than 15 total.
2018-04-06-22-34-09-600x415.jpg

The second is a KBB Oom Paul. It has a cloverleaf with KBB to the left of:
Yello-Bole

Reg. U.S. Pat. Off.

Imperial

Cured with real honey.
It is a push stem and has a short spade/shovel stinger. Yellow circle on top of stem.
2018-04-06-22-33-19-518x600.jpg

The KBB has lost some of the finish on front of bowl. It looks like some alcohol was spilled on it.
Question: is it worth having this one professionally refinished or is the cost more than the pipe merits? I know this is a judgment call but I would appreciate any thoughts you might have about whether the smoking quality is worth the small investment of restoration by a pro vs my efforts.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Killer deal. Smoke the pipes before deciding if you want them restored. The monetary value doesn’t matter if it’s a great burner.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Depends on whether you are collecting pipes for their aesthetic value or functional value. They look to be in really nice shape, especially for the price you paid.
I really like that rusticated lower one.

Status
Not open for further replies.