Antique Schemnitz Austro-Hungarian clay pipe-- rarity? Age?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I vaguely remembered seeing an odd old ceramic pipe in a local antique store several years ago, and seeing an article recently (this one: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.131730833577955.35067.101191206631918&type=1 ) I realized that was what I had seen. I remembered it being about $100, so I went back; that's a bit out of my range for a pipe that's not meerschaum, but I wanted a look.
The article says they're most common in black and brown, less so in terra-cotta and red, and "occasionally" in blue or green. I found some closed auctions on eBay and posts elsewhere showing terra-cotta, mottled brown, and black ones. They usually seem to have a scalloped metal sleeve on the bowl with a hinged wind-cap, and some have a metal band around the end of the shank, presumably to prevent cracks.
Here's that I found when I returned to the shop. The owner, who remembered my coming in and looking at it way back then, offered it to me for $50. I accepted.

kpw9GQz.jpg

The bowl is glazed in cream color with softly-dappled green swirl patterns, the cream becoming a sort of buttercream yellow behind the green areas. The shell bottom and shank are black, with a tiny hint of gold on the scallops. The wind-cap has eight slots around the edge and a nice curled clasp that snaps down; I've seen photos of very plain bands on the bowl, solid with a scalloped lower edge, and some very ornate pierced ones, and this is somewhere in the middle, plain with a fancy, pierced border. The inside of the cap has "ECHT NICKEL" (genuine nickel) stamped in big block letters.

uxWquFu.jpg

The maker's mark, stamped into the shank and gold-glazed, is "PARTSCH," which that article tells me is Anton Partsch. There is also, up on the lower part of the bowl, a gold oval stamp with a soft pattern in the center, I assume the maker's company sigil. The shank has a plain metal band, with a loop for a cord.

25ZLWZH.jpg

It has a bark-covered wood stem, with a cork-and-reed tip on the bottom and a turned horn ferrule (which has a tiny age crack) on top and a wooden mouthpiece (on closer examination just now, the lip is translucent under a very bright, focused light, so I think this must also be horn). The stem is kept with the bowl by a brown string or cord, tied around the mouthpiece and ending in two tassels, like many of the German wood and porcelain pipes.

8TB7Vj2.jpg

The inside of the wind-cap was crusty and black, the inside of the bowl had a thin, crumbly cake, and the draft hole was partly plugged by some probably very old un-burned tobacco! I used a very blunt spoon of a pipe multi-tool (appropriately, one of the common Czech ones) to gently knock away ALL of the cake - I don't think clays need cake, necessarily - as well as the gunk in the wind-cap, and used the tool's pick to clean the draft. It's still clearly smoked inside, but if I do light it, I won't be smoking on someone else's old tobacco-- who knows how long it's been since someone lit this!
My questions are:

--Does anyone know when this was made, approximately-- or when Anton Partsch was active? Apparently, at least one maker produced until 1959, but is this late 19th century? Early or mid 20th? This could be the oldest pipe I own.
--Is $50 a fair price, a great steal, not-so-good? Is it really rarer in this sort of finish?
Either way, I really like it. I think I heard or read somewhere that these were popular in the Austrian coffee-houses, and that's what I imagine whewn I hold this pipe.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I don't have any answers, but I think that is an awesome pipe! Clay pipes don't need any cake, I don't let any build in mine. &50.00 is a great deal for a pipe, especially if you like it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't decide if I think that is mostly a display piece or if it was or is a typical smoking pipe from somewhere. It's

handsome, and there is some workmanship there. It doesn't look like a pure souvenir item. The tassels suggest

it is mostly a wall hanging, but I'd be interested to hear what others think. Good price, either way.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Most German pipes of the type that have wind-caps have string connecting bowl and shank to prevent one falling completely off the other, and those usually do have tassels. Whether or not this one was sold as decoration, someone smoked it long and well.
Thanks, 4nogginsmike. I'm looking forward to puffing something so old. Earlier in the year, I bought a very late 1800s meerschaum, a really incredible lifelike shepherd or bedouin face that was pre-colored, and I'd considered smoking it (it has been already) but I just couldn't make myself do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.