PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
My wife and I went to the antique mall today and I saw quite a few estates. Some maybe overpriced but I found one case where all the pipes were marked $6.50. Most were in rough shape one even had tape on the bottom to fix a burnout. But I scored what I thought were the best two. The first is a Kaywoodie Relief Grain 22 a small light billiard. Based on the shape number it dates between 1932-1971. The other pipe is a WDC Royal Demuth Billiard with the filter pat'd 1934 stamp on the shank. It has an aluminum tenon that fits a 6mm filter. I'm not sure of the date on that one. Both pipes have original stems in great shape despite oxidation...not a tooth mark that I can see on them. Both pipes have a ton of cake that will new to be reamed but the stummles are in very good shape with no dents or nicks just need to have the gunk on the rims cleane up but they are nice and sharp meaning they weren't banged out on concrete like some estates look. I'm very happy and plan on going back for a few others I saw that I didn't have the time or money for today but I wrote the booth numbers down so I could find them easily next trip. I know pics or it didn't happen :) Ill have them posted up shortly. Any info on the WDC's age would be great!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
The WDC is shape number 44. I just took a damp paper towel to the WDC and its going to look great cleaned up. The original stain is mostly gone but where it still shows is a gorgeous red stain. I think that one is going to be a great learning experience restoring it. The Kaywoodie will be a simple clean and polish the stem. I think that will turn out to be a great flake pipe.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Excellent there are specific forums out there for the kaywoodie and wdc which is oddly enough related. http://kaywoodie.myfreeforum.org/

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
The WDCs are always a good find in the right condition, IMHO. Love my Wellington. Good luch with that restore, looking forward to before and after pics!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats! I never had any luck at the antique mall I visit. The only ones I saw were old, unmarked basket pipes in bad shape and way over priced.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
WDC was among the first-if not the first to use the 6MM paper filters. I have a box of WDC filters. Says 25 for $.25-- and patented in the US in 1934 and Canada in 1935.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Tucker, sounds like a couple of good scores, can't wait to see how they look all cleaned up.
six, sometime you should take a little trip to Putnam Conn, the entire town is one giant Antique shop. It is amazing how many antique stores are there. I used to antiquing with the ex wife quite often and found some really good deals there. Back then I was not into pipes but remember seeing tons of them. Not sure how far up in VT you are but you could do a little road trip and maybe stay over one night. It is a really cool place, and is pretty famous in the antique world. Also you might want to check out this, http://www.brimfieldshow.com/ I would be willing to bet you could score some major deals there as well.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
six, sometime you should take a little trip to Putnam Conn, the entire town is one giant Antique shop.
Thanks Harris. I've got to get down there. Conn is about 4-5 hours. Not too bad. My issue is time! I don't have enough to spare one long day - but I am going to see maybe this fall - sounds like it would be a great visit.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Well here we go! These are the before pictures. The Kaywoodie is up top and the WDC below.

Kaywoodie Relief Grain 22

WDC Royal Demuth 44 (Filter Pat'd 1934)

WDC progress photos coming soon...

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Wow, that was a lot of cake. Great score Tucker. That Kaywoodie is gorgeous. Congrats buddy! Did you pick up the others you wanted yet?

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Here is the progress on the WDC. Process so far: Wipe exterior with damp paper towels. Soak stem overnight in oxyclean dish detergent (not the machine kind). Used a dremel sanding disk to begin reaming (not happy with that and have to figure out how to ream without a reamer). Used tons of alcohol, bristle and regular pipe cleaners as well as a brush to clean the shank and inside of stem. I had an idea that a dryer sheet would work much like a magic eraser for the stem and bowl. That was kind of my secret weapon. The Unscented dryer sheet really cleaned the stem, polished it, and left the bowl with a nice shine even removing gunk the paper towels didn't get. For the top of the bowl I used 800 grit wet dry sandpaper to remove the buildup. without removing or damaging the original shape. Still work to do on the bowl interior and exterior and sanitizing. Overall I'm really happy for $6.50 :puffy:

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Thanks Chris and gnat! The Kaywoodie is a keeper for sure. It's unique enough to keep in the collection. I may sell the WDC when it's done to fund some more Estate PAD. I think i would regret getting rid of the Kaywoodie even though I haven't smoked it yet. Its surprisingly my smallest bowl, even smaller than my little 4.5" lovat, but a longer shank and stem. The finish has a nice deep red-brown color once I cleaned it and polished it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tucker:
Here's a brief history on the William Demuth Company.
http://pipedia.org/wiki/William_Demuth_Company
They got started around the same time God invented dirt.
You did good, pal.
Fnord

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
The Kaywoodie is a standard tenon. The WDC is a push tenon. The stem is a larger inside diameter and slips onto an aluminum tenon in the mortise.

Status
Not open for further replies.