PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
A friend of mine told me that he saw a bunch of pipes there so I had to check it out. Boy people need a dose of reality, a bunch of trash that wasn't even worth refurbishment. holes in stems, even right through bowls, cracked stems yet they were asking $10-$30 a piece, they weren't even big name pipes. I wouldn't even give them $10 for the whole lot. I guess my search for the lightly used Dunhill for $10 continues.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I guess the reward is the journey not the destination ;). I'll just have to settle with getting customs made even thinking of starting to make pipes.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I have found the same thing in a couple of antique stores myself. One in particular had 6 very well worn pipes that they wanted $20 to $40 a piece for, they were maybe worth $10 a piece. I asked, and was told that the price was non-negotiable, so I passed.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
same problem around here, anyone who has an old pipe with a little dust think it is worth what they see high grades go for on ebay. I guess they think a pipe is a pipe, maker and condition doesn't matter. I wonder do they ever really sell them ? I do know some decorators use them, maybe they pay that price for junk. Even at estate auctions I have seen them bring 10 times what they are worth.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
If a store has the word "antique" any where in its name you can bet its no bargain.

Want ad's, flea markets but not antique.

corvinvelegost

Might Stick Around
May 1, 2012
There is a big "antique" scene around where i live and i see similar situations quiet often (including a FAKE meerschaum pipe they were asking $2000 for!). I used to have really good luck at local Flea Markets but haven't in a long while.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
well, one antique store yielded a castello sea rock to me for 8$. Hated the pipe so I sold it for 159$ and bought my favorite pipe of all time, a Lorenzo modern oom paul, and a few other superb specimens of briar. I keep lookin constantly everywhere and anywhere. Have been tempted to put a small add in newspaper to buy pipes. :puffy: I also found a very old Dunhill for pennies and took it to a pipe shop in Phoenix. Hated the Dunhill so I pretended not to know the value just to watch the owner and clerks drool overit. They told me I could trade it for 3 mid grade pipes. I did and I can only assume after I left there were high fives all around.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
I find a lot of grabows, kaywoodies, and medicos around the antique shops near me. They are usually around 20$ the big savings I think are in pipe racks. Dealers usually give a low price because it isn't a pipe. I picked up a small 6 pipe rack for 3$ one of the last times I went.

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
I look, most stuff I see is pretty well worn. General prices I see around 10 bucks and up in shops. Some may be worth it some may not be. I got an unsmoked "stetson" from and antique shop for 10 bucks. Sure it s a no name, but 10 bucks for a vintage unsmoked pipe is a deal pretty much regardless of the brand I think.
Just keep an eye out you cant hit a home run every time. I think the real place is garage sales though. Im looking forward to seeing what I can find this season.

cumberland

Lurker
May 10, 2012
I have a local flea market nearby but haven't found any good pipes there for years. I did find 12 Sixten Ivarsson pipes there several years ago, though! That really made my day! :D
At another large flea market this year, I was very lucky to find a cased set of Dunhill pipes. Or rather: one of the pipes was missing but luckily the other pipe was present: a Dunhill "Mini Magnum" from year 1929/30. It's basically the same shape as the famous "LC" but with a slightly less prominent "swan neck" stem. Quite different from a shape 120, though. I emailed Rich Esserman the pictures of the pipe, and he confirmed that it is a "Mini Magnum"... I got the pipe for DKR. 450 (roughly USD 80).
I was thrilled to find that "Mini Magnum" since I also have an unsmoked (and cased) "Pocket size" Magnum from 1926(despite the name, it's larger than the "Mini") plus a cased "Full Size" Magnum from 1924... the full size is 7.5 cms in bowl height and is 25 cms long (shape is the classic "Bent" with a hint of "LC"). The bore is 25mm

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I passed on a Preben Holme recently, because it needed heavy restoration and the antique store wanted $149.00 for it. But here lately, everything, even the junk, is overpriced. Even eBay doesn't have the bargains that it used too.

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
Yeah, a lot of what I see have so much cake I don't even understand how someone smoked them. I don't get it. I guess was there a time where someone would smoke their pipe until the couldn't get any tobacco in it anymore and then get another one?
Other stuff are just no names for 10, 15 20 bucks in shapes that don't excite me at all.

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
How about a pre trans Barling for 12 bucks? It needs a bit of work, definitely a project pipe, but Ill enjoy getting it back into smoking condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.