PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I bought these on eBay a couple weeks ago. All from the same seller. From them and the other offerings I gather that they all came from the estate of a guy who loved old pipes and smoked and cared for them pretty well. What really grabbed me was the fine condition of all three cases.
First up is stamped on the shank: C.W. Paris. It has an actual carved bead line. That coupled with the style of the case lettering makes me believe this is a 19th century pipe. The stem is a well done lucite replacement. The band is probably a repair as well. There are 2 tiny hallmarks. I can't make anything of them other than to say it's not English. It's some type of silver as it was tarnished when I got it. Some doofus scratched it to check if it was plated. It's not. I might be able to smooth it out, but left it as is for now. It's really heavy. Probably triples the pipe's weight. It was converted to a push stem. The repair guy did a nice job but was too heavy handed with the amount of metal used. I must say though that even though the pipe is heavy and difficult to clench, it provides a really fine smoke!
CW%20Paris%201_zpsu865m781.jpg

CW%20Paris%202_zpssoytcugt.jpg

Second is a G.Z. French Briar. Probably dates to around 1900 or so. The top of the oval shank is stamped: Hand Made G.Z. & Co. The stem is an obvious replacement for what was probably amber or amberoid material. But it looks pretty good on the pipe. The rim has a bad burn mark, but otherwise it's a nice slim bulldog.
Cased%20G.Z.%20French%20Briar_zpsxa8wvuag.jpg

Last up is the real score of the bunch. It's a KB&B Blueline Bakelite short bulldog dating to the teens. It's in fine shape with all original parts. It's pretty! Good smoking pipe too.
KBampB%20Blueline%20Bulldog_zpsm90jx0yo.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Looking at pipe #1...
I can't quite tell what's going on. You say "band", but the metal end of the shank plus the dramatic weight increase makes me think it's a solid metal shank extension.
Which would be strange for many reasons. (As in, downright weird)
Care to clarify?

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I did say "band". But I haven't had the piece apart because it is solidly attached. So I can't say how thick the end cap is. In fact, that may be where most of the weight is. I'll put it on a scale later and post the total weight. It is kind of weird which is probably why I might not be seeing it correctly for what it is.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Definitely well played and not a dog in the bunch, yeah pun very much intended,enjoy!

banjo

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Hm... As a repair, that block of sterling would be all kinds of strange (as I said before). As "original equipment" not so much. Back in the day, before anyone cared about wood grain, adding ornamentation and precious metals to ordinary pipes was what made them a "high grade." Pipes fit to be presentation items, luxury gifts, etc. And since the case liner says "Sterling" up front (something i didn't notice before, cuz I was too busy looking at the pipe), I'm now going to guess that what you have is exactly the way it left the factory. Heavy and uncomfortable, maybe, but over-the-top bling that made a statement.
And there's always been a market for statement making.
XogeSCn.jpg

K

klause

Xrun, I think I woke up dead and went to heaven - good lord, but those are absolutely gorgeous - my eyes popped out of my head, and then I whistled long and low as the sweat rose on my fore head.
That's a Threesome that really lifts my skirts!
Great pipes to a good home - congratulations on three stunners.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
xrundog, wonderful pipes! right up your alley, since they're bulldogs, too. and WITH cases!

The obvious beauty is the KBB, but that trim ring on the 'heavy' pipe is pretty special too.

I've applied the brakes to my PAD, but when I see stuff like this....I'm tempted to start looking again.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Are you going to smoke them?
I already have. The KB&B and the C.W. Paris are great. They are keepers. The G.Z. doesn't do it for me. It will probably make an appearance back on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.