PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Anti-Tongue Bite Strategies –

- Give up pipe smoking (I would rather cut off my left testicle with a blunt penknife!)

- Take a break for a few days (in severe cases this may be necessary, but avoidance tactics are preferable)

- Develop a gentle ‘sipping’ cadence rather than big puffs (this helps)

- Reduce clenching (this definitely helps, but is not easy when you are at the keyboard)

- Change the positions of the bit in your mouth (but try not to swallow it!)

- Alternate a fishtail with a P-lip (which is what I do)

- Avoid troublesome blends or, when you plan your piping day, start with those troublesome blends (which is what I do)

- Drink lots of tea and red wine/port as you are smoking (in the daytime I will drink a mug of tea for every bowl; at night I will drink a bottle of red wine or several glasses of port)

- Man up and take it! Show no signs of pain, and do not whimper in front of bystanders!!

Just rip that mother right out of your mouth. It does nothing but get you into trouble anyways, right? You could smoke undisturbed for hours on end, if everyone stopped talking to you. And, with no tongue, you could huff and puff all you wanted. Just make huge billowing clouds of smoke. Just think of all of the advantages.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Other than smoking my very first pipe, I can't recall ever encountering tongue bite. You don't need a long list of "strategies." Just smoke slowly (or even very slowly, depending on the blend), learn how to pack your pipe correctly for each of the various cuts/mixtures you enjoy, and run a pipe cleaner through if you experience a lot of moisture during a smoke.
I think some folks also need to understand the difference between "tongue bite" and other kinds of reactions that folks may have to specific leaf -- such as red Virginias and perique. Not every painful or uncomfortable experience should be chalked up to "bite."
Bob

For me, I enjoy that prickly on the tongue sensation. It doesn't last, and after the bowl is finished and I've had a swig of juice or coffee, it's gone. It's like jalapenos, a burn with a sort of mild endorphin elevation. I like it. Not every Virginia or VaPer does this, but if you don't like it, avoid it, IMO. Stick to 1Q or some other blend.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
The biggest strategy that I implemented to cut down (actually eliminate) tongue bite was like rmbittner said, learning to pack my bowls correctly, according to what type of tobacco I was smoking.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@rmbittner, you are one of the fortunate non-susceptible individuals, and clearly don't know what I am talking about.I have been a heavy smoker for 15 years and I can assure you:
1. that I smoke my pipe slowly, with a most distinguished sipping cadence.

2. tongue bite is a real problem, as many experienced pipers agree.
@comic, that's very funny! But maybe I could swap my left orchid for Her Indoors' tongue - it is whiplash sharp!!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
flakey, I have your cure. Stick the pipe up your ass and smoke from there, no more tongue bite. Anal smoking is not as difficult as it sounds. Peck explained the technique to me as he is an expert at it.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
flaky:
I never suggested that tongue bite wasn't a real problem for some pipe smokers.
To be honest, though, I think if the steps I mentioned don't solve it, then the pipe smoker needs to look at the tobacco he/she is smoking -- is it a very cheap aromatic or is it quality leaf? -- and the pipes he/she is using -- are they cheap pipes with "stingers"? are they varnished and sealed? Finally, as I suggested, what the smoker may be encountering may not actually be "bite" at all but something more like an unpleasant allergic reaction triggered by specific kinds of blends. I think perique, red Virginias, and burley are often cited as being the most likely culprits.
Of course, some people simply may not be able to smoke at all due to some biological reaction. Can't say I've ever actually heard of that, but I'll assume that anything's possible.
Bob

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@Harris, cure, CURE you say? Forcing one of your Rad Davies clunky Danishoid artisan pipes past my anal sphincter is I am told THE cause of my chronic faecal incontinence! So tell Peck to stick that up his jacksie, although since his recent light posting is probably the consequence of 'commode time', it sounds like he already has!!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
flakey, :rofl:
cos, thanks buddy. I am glad to hear everyone tried it. The art of anal smoking is a must try for any true piper.
I should also mention that Bob made some very good points. Stingers and poor draws could easily lead to tongue bite especially for a new smoker whose technique is not down just yet.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Although for us in the very dry cold weather this may not apply, moist tobacco has been troublesome for me. Taking the time to make sure that the moisture level is correct was a big factor in cutting down 99.9 percent of any difficulty I (used) to have.
In the summer, if in a hurry, I would use a blow dryer on the tobacco to speed the process.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I've gotten better with the pipe over the last few months, so my tongue bite has drastically reduced, but in the event of getting bit, the next day I go through a bag of hard candies and it usually clears everything up!

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I just got off the phone with my father, who is a retired gastroenterologist and a pipe smoker, and he highly recommends that no one take Harris' tongue bite cure.
He said that this type of advice was fairly common when he was still practicing, and it paid for my older brother's lengthy college education. Quite similar, actually, to the way that rawhide treats pay my veterinarian's mortgage.
I am beginning to wonder exactly what type of medical issues prevented Harris from this site. Dare I ask? A bizarre piping accident?

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I NEVER deliberately inhale inhale the smoke, and I strongly recommend you don't. You taste the tobacco in the mouth and nasopharynx, NOT in the lungs!
Therefore, once the pipe is properly alight, develop a gentle sipping cadence and savour the flavour. It takes a little practice, especially if you have been a cigarette smoker, but not much.
Happy piping!!

Status
Not open for further replies.