Anti-Smoking Activist need to get priorities, and lives.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Brigham Pipes
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
12 Fresh Johs Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
The LA Times just were so happy to scream the headline, that Lebanon may ban smoking indoors, and public areas. Kamal Hirbi the administer of a online group of smoke haters was quoted " I created this group alone with no publicity, inviting all my friends and 8000 members joined". They were the ones pushing bar and restaurant owners to join the ban. The only reason they were considering the ban was to please smoke hating tourist from America and Britain. The hookah cafe owners were none to pleased, because they have tourist as well.
Where the hell are these "activist' when it comes to something like crystal meth and obesity. America is losing a whole generation to those problems. Not to mention the healthcare issues that go along with those. This would not be as easy or fashionable.
Who do these people think they are to tell business owners and citizens what they can and can't do with their personal lives. With no firm evidence about second hand smoke. Also, the stupidity that goes along with lumping certain cigarettes with pipes, cigars, ryo, and hookahs. They hate it when someone lumps pot with heroin, cocaine, and crystal meth. They are just wanting to get their name in the paper, and the LA Times wants an easy story.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I have had a bad day, and that article just set me off. I was thinking I needed golf shoes just to walk in this muck.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Funny how everyone is concerned about my health .I quess they need me healthy to pay for thiers . I read the Times online as LA is my home town .

thecigarsoldier

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2010
Wisconsin
Check out my last rant on the whole third hand smoke issue. I was already over the edge.
http://pipesmagazine.com/thecigarsoldier/pipe-news/ets-ths-and-tsnas/
Couldn't agree with you more Bob!

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
What about factories belching smoke, and single, men and women driving four door, v-8 SUVs? Do all the people that show up for anti-smoking demos walk to them. Most of them are so fat they can't walk 4 blocks. What about about second hand Big Macs?

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I am not saying someone should or should not drive gas sucking vehicles. I just hope those aren't the same people who bitch about second hand smoke.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I posted a rant elsewhere on the hypocrisy of anti-smoking regulations in public venues. Football pre-game and half-time shows usually involve fireworks that literally fog the stadium with acrid smoke; but dare not light up a cigarette!
Also, since the objections of fumiphobes are a pet peeve of mine, I would like to challenge the statistics they are quick to cite on the harmful effects of second hand smoke. On what double blind, placebo controlled study are these speculations elevated to the status of scientific fact?

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I believe Congress is forbidden to say second hand smoke causes cancer, because there is no evidence.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Hasn't stopped them before.
In fact there is credible argument that smoking is actually statistically good for you and the initial scientific studie and subsequent ones based on them were a joke scientifically speaking. Lack of sample controls, ignorance of contradictory findings etc.
Not in any way trying to convince anyone. But remember we've been brainwashed before.
Here's a good place to start for those interested.

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
I also am frustrated with the government do-gooders deciding how and where we can smoke. On the other hand, I do understand non-smokers wishes to avoid exposure to second hand smoke (whether it is harmful or not). I view smoking in public the same way I look at any personal behavior in a shared space - somebody blaring their radio, or some idiot shouting on his cell phone.. basic consideration for others shouldn't take much effort. A little common sense goes a long way. Too bad common sense isn't common!
So my view is, if a commercial establishment wants to let people smoke, that's great - people who don't want to be "exposed" to second hand smoke can go elsewhere, and those of us who enjoy an after dinner cigar or pipe in our favorite eatery can do just that. It should NOT be a government decision.
I haven't seen any data comparing the toxicity of second hand smoke compared to direct inhalation of smoke. Seems to me the only difference between first and second hand smoke is the density of the smoke and any chemical change to the smoke caused by being passed through somebody's lungs once. I don't believe a single pass through some lungs would remove all of the "toxic" components, so for me the argument centers around density and exposure time. I think it would be extremely difficult to devise a test to prove or disprove harmful effects of second hand smoke.
So I'm sticking with the common sense approach. I happen to enjoy the aroma of pipe smoke, and I do appreciate the flavor of a good cigar now and then as well. I do understand that many people don't. Therefore, when I'm out and about with my pipe and somebody remarks that they don't like it... sometimes I put my pipe out, and sometimes I invite the offended party to go elsewhere. Works for me anyway!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here's a quote for those anti-smoking Nazi's.
"I am convinced that if I had been a smoker, I never would have been able to bear the cares and anxieties which have been a burden to me for so long. Perhaps the German people owe their salvation to that fact."

Adolf Hitler

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Yes, a historical figure who carried out one of the worse atrocities in recorded history. Then look up a list of historic pipe smokers. What a list of great people, who accomplished great things. To think the government would like to outlaw smoking, or tax it to extinction. In my opinion a dismal sign for our society indeed.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I think we've stumbled upon something deeper here. The repressed tend to oppress?
I personally know that I become much more tolerant of others as I become more tolerant of myself.
And I observe that fascist governments are primarily centered around repressing personal choice and oppressing the masses to enforce the party line.
So to put this in current context relevant to tobacco, it makes sense that a government "of the people and by the people" would become oppressive when the "people" in question are repressed.
My personal belief is that we are in general terms a highly repressed society.
Or maybe Hitler was just a non-smokin, no meat eaten little bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.