Another William Anderson

(16 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by anthonyrosenthal74
  • Latest reply from anthonyrosenthal74
  1. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A while ago, I commissioned a pipe from Will and it turned out absolutely lovely. Great shape, great stain, went for a deep red cumberland stem (my first cumberland) with a spalted maple shank extension. That pipe has quickly become my favorite and it smokes like a champ. A few days ago he posted a photo on Facebook of another pipe he was working on that under normal circumstances I just wouldn't be interested in. I'm not a big fan of pokers or sitters... I don't know why, I'm just not. For some reason I suppose they just don't look very appealing to me. Usually I see one and I'm just, "Meh...nope, not interested." Well this pipe, first seen unfinished, the stem attached in the photo but still blocky and unfinished for some reason grabbed my attention quite quickly. I could tell already that this thing was going to be just wonderful. I sent the link to a buddy of mine... "hey buddy. You like straight shanked sitters? No? Me neither. But what do you think about this? I know right? It's freaking fantastic! I don't know I just might buy it. I'm gonna wait until he gets some more photos up and see what it looks like when the stems cut and has a stain on it." And BOOOOOOOOM! A couple days later there's more photos, the stem is shaped, there's a stain on it and I'm all..... googly eyed. Googly eyed over a pipe I normally would be all "Meh, I'll pass." So I message Will wondering how much he's going to want for it. He tells me he'll let me know when it's finished, but probably around the same I paid for my commission, give or take, something like that. I'm cool with that. I get home from work, he's got the finished pipe posted and has sent me a message about how much he's asking for it. I find myself trying very very very hard to talk myself out of buying this pipe. Of course, he informs me that the spalted maple on THIS pipe came from the same piece that's on my commissioned pipe.... "Don't do it," I tell myself. "Don't... Anthony, don't you do it... don't you... don't you DARE! ANTHONY DAVID ROSENTHAL YOU BETTER NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT...." Sold! And I'm the proud new owner. I don't blame myself. Not really. Perhaps it was a pipe fairy sprinkling a bit of briar dust on my head and waving a vulcanite rod around, casting some kind of hocus pocus on me. Stupid little pipe fairy

photo WilliamAnderson4.jpg">

photo WilliamAnderson3.jpg">

photo WilliamAnderson2.jpg">

photo WilliamAnderson1.jpg">

Will took a style I normally wouldn't like, and added curves and style, angles on stem and extension, rounded off the top of the bowl, made the pipe dynamic, and gave it a bit of a sideways cant so it doesn't just sit... it sits with style and attitude. It's a bad boy. A rebel. And it knows it.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great looking pipe, Anthony. It's not a style I would go for in the abstract, but can't argue with the results here. That stem!

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow that's fantastic. He makes some beautiful pipes.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

brendan18

Login to Send PM

Nice!

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Man, that pipe ahs it all; color, shape and the grain is to die for. Congrats and enjoy.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is fantastic grain and finish. Beautiful pipe!

Dave "Black Frigate Stowaway"
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. rogers

rogers

Login to Send PM

Damn those pipe fairies!

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice, and I love that extension.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. I'll be eagerly awaiting this one in the mail.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Anthony, I feel the same as you. Usually I'm not fond of poker's, but that one made me grin uncontrollably!! Nice find!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah Anthony. Someone's got to support our pipemakers. Might as well be you

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That there is a great looking pipe...all the elements compliment each other perfectly. Enjoy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. bungee

bungee

Login to Send PM

Gorgeous pipe!

Enjoy.

Cheers,

J

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone. And I gotta say, if it smokes half as well as the first pipe I bought from him by commission I will be very pleased. That one has become my go to pipe that I love everything about.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

....and the pipe has arrived! Actually the night before. Anyway, the pipe showed up and it's lovely. One of the things I loved about my first William Anderson pipe was that it performed wonderfully from the first smoke. Who doesn't love a pipe that smokes great from the beginning? This second pipe smoked great as well. I loaded it up with one of My Own Blend's, only having to relight a couple times when I set the pipe down for a minute and let it go out. The cool thing about this one is it has a spalted maple extension cut from the same piece as was on my first, and this was the first of this shape that Will has made. He also sent the original sketch along with the pipe, which I thought was very nice of him. Maybe I'm strange, but I was as excited about that as the pipe itself! I will definitely be ordering a third pipe from Will in the future. We're still tossing ideas out there about the "sister pipe" to my first by him. He makes a sweet smoker indeed.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   charf, sparrowhawk