PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Not a big one since most of it went to my post about buying tobacco here but I did have to post a bit about Latvia since I have time.
First, my cat. She is finally home and doing well. In the end it turned out to be an infection of some kind. They ended up keeping her for 5 days and running a lot of tests like blood panels, ultrasound and x-ray. We got her home and so-far-so-good. The bill for 5 days of hospital stay, testing, medications and a couple weeks of special food? €290 ($375). That's it. Cat is well and the cost wasn't nearly as bad as I feared.
So, the food. Tonight I went to a place called Street Burger that serves some of the best burgers and fries I've had outside of the Mountain West. They had a few different veggie options if you're into that and everything I've had there is top notch so far. If burgers aren't your thing, you can find any number of places serving everything from simple meat and veg to multi-course gourmet meals. I have found a number of places that serve different types of kebabs that are almost always good.
I haven't found beef to be something that is commonly eaten other than in hamburger form so that is a bit of a change for me but I'm getting used to it. The real trick is finding a steak that hasn't been marinated to death an then drowned in sauces. That's one thing I truly miss.
Speaking of steak. I have a picture that illustrates exactly how far from home I really am.
asdf.jpg

Yep, you read that right...€16.50 ($21.38) for a bottle of A1. It's the only place I have found it so far and luckily I don't really care for the stuff but dayum. I don't really have much else in the way of pictures but I'll be working on that.
Before I hit the sack I have one more thing to say about the place. The beer sucks. It truly sucks the sweat off...oops, I can't finish that one in polite company. Sure there are good beers here but out of every 30 beers on the shelf, 29 of them are sweet, muddled, flobbery messes that would make a German, a Brit or a Belgian embarrassed to call his own. To be fair, they've only really been back to brewing since the wall came down but that doesn't make it taste any better. If you're a Bud light kind of person it will all have way too much taste for you. If you like micros/imports, then you'll know exactly what the adjectives 3 sentences back mean. Now I have run across a very few good beers so far. Valmiermuiza is pretty good in general if it's fresh or on tap and the main InBev brewery has a line of pseudo-micros that don't suck. Past that I've only had one other brewery that was any good and now I can't get it because my favorite bottle shop is closed "for technical reasons" ( :cough cough, bullshit, cough: ). Bloody commies and their terrible beer, mutter, mutter.
Anyway, I'm having a pretty good stay over here so far and the list of things I am picking up when I go home over Christmas is growing...but not nearly as much as I feared.
Good night all,

Dave

Jan 8, 2013
I see they sell the A.1 right next to the beef jerky. Now being in the grocery store business that tells me one thing.... that they are trying sell more of one item by placing it with another. A condiment if you will. It's like putting cocktail sauce near the shrimp. So...... you mean to tell me they put steak sauce on their jerky? 8O That's just weird! lol. But I'm glad you're doing well over there :) And doubly glad that your cat's going to be ok!
*EDIT* I just noticed something else from the photo... is that barbeque sauce or pancake syrup next to the macaroni and cheese?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Captainsousie, I'm very happy that your cat is recovering well. You say the beer sucks, how good are the Vodkas, since it was formerly part of the USSR, I would think you could get good Vodka cheaply?

Aug 1, 2012
Anthony, that is BBQ sauce next to the mac and cheese. The marketing strategy here is to group all the foreign comfort foods together so people like me get homesick and buy them. If I had taken a picture of what was behind me you would see the Dr Pepper next to the salsa and nacho cheese dip.
Thanks Phil, and you're right. The vodka made here is plentiful, cheap and really good. I can get a half liter bottle of the local vodka that is top notch for around $8 USD.
The wifey is adjusting well too. She had her day where she was really homesick but a new book on the kindle, a skype session with her mom and some chocolate covered marshmallows did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.