Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a terrible year for losing family. I've lost both grandmothers, my girlfriend's mother, and at 1AM this morning I got a call that my uncle had passed. Besides me, he was the last pipe man in the family. He was 68, my mother's younger brother, worked as a banker in Washington DC, contracted out his land to corporate tobacco and peanut farming, served as a Rep Virginia and Tennessee back in the 70's, and enjoyed cherry aromatics in his one pipe, a very old, heavily smoked, and well cared for Dunhill. He smoked this pipe on his commutes and in the evenings after dinner. I don't know what brand tobacco it was that he smoked, but my guess is that it was something in bulk from a mall pipe shop. Growing up, it wasn't Christmas till I smelled Uncle Joe's cherry wafting from the den.
As I've heard happening too many times before, he went a few days ago to the doctor with a painful irregularity in his mouth and passed very very quickly after that. He was a teetotaler like the rest of us in the family (our Irish genes are the type that can't process alcohol very well), and he jogged every morning. So guys, don't dick around with anything unusual in your mouth. Not to cause any unneeded stresses in the pipe world, just get anything and everything seen about quickly by your doctor or dentist, ASAP.
So, in remembrance, I fire up the closest thing that I have to a cherry aromatic, Dan's Liberty. I'm not sure it is a true cherry, but it's close enough for me. And, then I will let all of my pipes rest for the day. By missing my pipe, I will be reminded of him all day.
Carry on... :puffy:

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
My condolences Michael. Losing a loved one is never easy and he was to young to go. May God welcome him with open arms.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
cosmicfolklore:
My condolences to you and your family on the passing of your Uncle. I pray God's blessing upon you all.
Isn't it grand how we can associate individuals with the aroma of a particular pipe-tobacco? I cannot today smell Half-and-Half nor Price Albert without instantly being reminded of my paternal Grandfather.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Sorry to hear the news, Cosmic. It's difficult to see relatives & older friends you care so much about pass, one by one. Prayers to you & your extended family.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Best wishes for you and your family during this time of grief.

The news hits home especially because I just turned 67 myself.

That seems too early to check out. I'll burn some GH Top Black Cherry in his honor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Quite a biography. What an interesting life. Condolences to you and other family and friends.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
my condolences to you and your family. You will be in my prayers for peace and comfort to your family in this time. I know how it feels I lost my Fiancee to cancer just days before christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.