PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
So I was in the neighborhood of my not-so-local B&M so I decided to stop in and pick up some pipe cleaners, wind caps, and an empty cigar box to put miscellaneous pipe paraphernalia in. Browsing around the shop I noticed a gourd calabash priced at $300. I asked if they matched their online prices because I knew it was $250 (c'mon we all know why I was really there). Supposedly someone forgot to update the website and the best price they would give me was $270. After sampling a couple of bowls of some opened tins they had available I asked if I could at least get the cleaners, caps and box (about $17) with the pipe for $270. A deal was made and I figure I took about a $3 hit, but to be honest I don't know if I was entirely in the market for a new pipe on this particular day (a week before my girl's birthday). Did I win? Did I get taken? I feel like I got a bit blind sided, felt a little rushed, but did not want to return another day to pay $300. Curse this damn disorder...

froggie

Lurker
Apr 1, 2014
It's a good deal if you like the way it looks and it's a good smoker. Have you smoked it yet?

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Love the way it looks, haven't had a chance to smoke it yet.

I asked the guy in the front if it would be ok to buy the pipe online and 'pick up in store' but i guess when he was checking the price he was asking the owner who was in the back. When i brought up the question he said that the online price was 'being changed as we speak' and that I should've just bought it online without bringing up the price difference. Didn't seem like the friendliest response, but I have to assume that he was not the boss. Anyhow as I was sampling their tobaccos I went online on my phone anyways and sure enough the prices had changed.

Feb 26, 2014
Keep in mind that when it comes to collectibles (which includes pipes of course) an item is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. Supply and demand after all....if I want something bad enough I will "over-pay" especially if I don't think the same opportunity to buy a similar will come up again easily. If the calabash had a retail value of $250 online then consider yourself as paying a $20 convenience fee to have the pipe in your hands right there and then; no wait-time for shipping. PLUS; you got all the other accessories along with it.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
There's a response I was looking for! Buyers remorse gone and my purchase feels justified. Lol. Thanks wrangler. Now what to put in it... Life is tough...

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Well I just had my first smoke with it and all i can say is everything I've read about gourd calabashes are true. There's not much I can add to the topic of how great they smoke and I can say that I am super happy with the pipe.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Very nice 81, I'm stoked for you and glad you are happy with it and are enjoying it! Happy puffing!

Status
Not open for further replies.