Another New Member from the Land of the Pines! (NC)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeydogg

Lurker
Apr 30, 2018
Hello from NC!
I have been lurking on this forum for awhile now and decided it would be a great place and community to spend more time around. I have read great advice and suggestions through this forum and I look forward to more it has to offer and hopefully be able to contribute some back.
Fun fact, new member loudpiper is actually one of my best friends. I had no idea (and vice versa) that he knew anything about this site until I saw his new intro post moments ago.
I look forward to sharing some stories with everyone and becoming better acquainted with the community and the hobby!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I just landed in NC for a meeting. I’m on your tera firma. Welcome

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Great to see you, smokey! Roughly where'bouts in the Tarheel might you be? (If you'd rather not say, worry not -- no heartburn. Myself, I'm in the SC piedmont, so I get around Asheville, Gatlinburg, & other points mountain a lot. :))

smokeydogg

Lurker
Apr 30, 2018
Thanks for all of the welcomes. I have lived in Greensboro NC for about 6 years now, a couple years in Wilmington before that, but originally from Morehead City NC.
I love the mountains and Asheville, Loudpiper and I will be hiking the A.T. for about a week in August.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For years Morehead City and Atlantic Beach were my haunts, with my late wife's family. I need to get my wife down. Various medical things have kept us from our roaming. I went to school in Greensboro and would have stayed if I could have found a job, and moved out of town with a job. Lived in UNCG campus town without a car for a year and a half, on GI Bill. Since 1975, I've been in the state capital, Raleigh.

smokeydogg

Lurker
Apr 30, 2018
Happy to see fellow Carolinians! My now fiancee (at the time gf) was attending UNCG and I moved up here to be with her. She has since graduated from UNCG.

I wish well for your wife and family in hopes you can soon make a visit to the coast. If you have not been back in a while you will be surprised by all the growth.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Ah, yeah, Morehead. First place I ever paid $1 for a Coke out of a machine! College choir tour back in '73, & I swore I'd NEVER pay that again. HA! Talk about your Totally Clueless kid...... }:) Love the Carolinas; always figured if I ever retired it'd be on the FL Gulf Coast or in the mountains. As it turned out I did both. Retired from working for the Air Farce in '08 in the FL panhandle, then 7 years ago I got a simply unrefusable offer at a new med school here in the Piedmont. I ain't never movin' again. :)
mso, g'luck to you/yours!
Back to half-way topic... -laugh- I just picked up a Krona freehand from Tim West Pipes. Godawful simple-beautiful & smokes like a total dream. I'll try to take a pic & post when I go home this afternoon. Today's choice from the rack this a.m. was a nice Savinelli. I'll post it now in a more appropriate place. :)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
In the Fifties my Dad bought a 75 ft new Shrimp Boat, beautiful thing, traveled thru Intercoastal across Florida. Moore head City boats were beautiful things. It was not to be , first trip in the Gulf it blew up and burned to the water, Dad escaped unhurt, but had to pay off a boat that wasn't there. It was a beautiful boat, they surmised butane for cooking had leaked in the bilges. :puffy: WELCOME ,

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
brad, what an awful mishap; glad your dad escaped. Then to pay for the exploded boat. Boy, that's overcoming a lot having survived a shipwreck. I like "the land of pines" moniker for N.C., as if we have a copyright on pines. Also, to hear folks hereabouts, they invented grandparents, tire swings, and hush puppies, proper barbecue, and (with some genuine claims in fact) jazz and baseball. Many major contributors to those last two. John Coltrane, for starters. I'll remember that shrimp boat explosion next time I have a tantrum about the reverses of daily life.

Status
Not open for further replies.