PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I happened upon this Kaywoodie Atlas auction today on Ebay, just as it ended. I've been looking for an oversized Kaywoodie for a while, but they rarely turn up on Ebay (or elsewhere). The seller was Don Warren. It looks to be in pretty good shape, a push stem (minus the stinger apparatus). He says it is a 1950's pipe, but with the four digit shape number, I suspect it might be older. I didn't find out much about these over sized Kaywoodies, save a few lines on Chris Keenes Kaywoodie page.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I would call that one a Rhodesian.
I have a couple of similar shapes.
Comoys 489 Extraordinaire

Jack Howell Passion for Pipes POY

Peterson Pre-Republic

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ok, with a little help from the Kaywoodie forum, there is no shape number on these handmade's (the ES1191 was the sellers reference). They think it is from the WWII era and it never had a stinger.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Atlas was delivered today and I'm quite impressed with the pipe and Don's restoration work. He said there were some small tooth marks underneath and I assumed that I would have to make some sort of repair. Don had already done the super-glue repair and did a terrific job. I'm super picky about my stems and restoration work but his pipe needed nothing.
The stem detail is quite good, including the button shaping. This is my first older, push-stem Kaywoodie and the first smoke was outstanding.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
It reminds me of a refined Custombilt or Tom Howard - great find!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
These classic Kaywoodies are inspiring indeed. Actually, despite the change in ownership and slide

toward the economy pipe class, I think new Kaywoodies offer some good pipes. I say that quietly, because

I think they have the rep of being pretty basic, and I think you have to shop selectively. Some look pretty

"drugstore," but most are durable, light weight, compact but fair-sized pipes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, not the POY or handmade line. If you like large pipes (push stem, no stingers), these are hard to beat:
http://cigarsandpipes.com/pipes/pipes-a-m/kaywoodie.html
My handmade 2005 POY:

Status
Not open for further replies.