PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Part of my Christmas gift is getting to do a rather large tobacco purchase and so I'm soliciting ideas from my fellow English blend connoisseurs.
My favorite blends are HH Daybreak (AM) and GLP Westminster (all day) along with HH Magnum Opus (special occasions).
I've given up on VA's and I only like my perique in condiment form like OTB. Unfortunately EMP and Nightcap are examples of too much perique for my taste, which is unfortunate cause I really like everything else about those blends.
So far, Black House is a must. I wish I could get a hold of some Fusilier's Rations to try but P&C is still sold out.
Probabilities include Meridian and Quiet Nights.
Have at it and thanks!

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
If you haven't tried HH Larry's Blend, that one is a must.
I would also consider C&D Pirate Kake as well. Those along with Black House and Penzanace are my go to latakia fixes. If I want a more straight forward latakia that is cool and easy burning, C&D daVinci is a perfect fit as well.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Lately I've been enjoying Hearth and Home's Larry's Blend and Ten to Midnight. I don't believe either use Perique and the price is certainly attractive at 15 bucks per 8oz. container.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'll agree with Larry's Blend. You might also enjoy C&D Star of the East, Hermit Tobacco Captain Earl's 10 Russians, S&G Squadron Leader, and Peterson Old Dublin, if you haven't tried 'em.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Larry's blend will probably make it on the list. Ten To Midnight is a good blend but a little heavier in the nic department for my tastes. I do enjoy it once in awhile though :)
I have a few tins of SL but had a hard time getting into it - something about it just didn't sit right but I could never put my finger on it.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
Black House is definantly my go to, however I do like the Newminster Ultimate English and English Luxus as well.. You can buy it in bulk from P&C...

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
My current favourite is Blue Mountain. Apparently it is less complex than others mentioned (Black House, Larry's Blend, Penzance) but apparently less complex is what I needed to make the transition from aros. It also won the peoples choice award so apparently other folks love it too even though it doesn't get much love around here apparently...

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
@metarzan: Blue Mountain is a great blend. It's a stronger blend than the Frog's but similar.
@Jud: Unfortunately, Old Dublin had something in it reminding me of cigarettes. I ended up trading my last tin of it.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
The Description of "Old Dublin" sounds right up my alley but I couldn't put a dent in a tin. Every time I see it suggested I bite my tongue and think I must be missing something. I could see it being a good tobacco for someone that smokes cigarettes or who is trying to stop. Good to see I am not the only one who does not get along with the flavour. If you try Blue Mountain and do not like it I will buy the remainder from you or trade you for something else.
edit: Sorry didn't realize I was replying to the OP.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
If you like Westminster, you will enjoy Squadron Leader. If you want the Lat without the Turkish, Commonwealth is what I recommend ( half Lat half VA and it's not the bitey overbearing VA either ).
You'll also enjoy PS Balkan Supreme. Some of the big places carry it, some don't.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks for all the recommendations! I ordered:
1 8oz tin of Westminster, 2 2oz tins of Quiet Nights (P&C was out of the 8oz), 1 8oz tin of Meridian, 8oz Black House, 8oz Magnum Opus, 2 1.5oz tins of Larry's Blend (they were out of 8oz; almost went bulk, but saved money for some others to try), 1 2oz tin of Star of the East, 1 2oz tin of Da Vinci, and 2oz of Pirate Kake.
UpTown's in Nashville carries a bunch of H&H bulk blends so I do sample those quite a bit but outside of that I tend to stick to my go-to's, so I'm excited to try some of these others out.
I'll be sure to add a picture of the order when it arrives :)

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Well the order arrived safe and sound! Thought you all might like to see the fruits of your suggestions :)
IMAG0842.jpg

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks all. I'm sure it will keep me latakia warm and toasty over the winter months :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.