Another Good Day at the Antique Store (Pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I just happened to run into Tom, the guy who brings most of the pipes into the store this afternoon. I got first pick!
I'm not so much of a clay pipe collector but Tom took 5 bucks off the price bringing them down to $15 bucks. Who could resist? The side of the box has "Made in Germany" on it so I'm thinking these were made for export before WW II. That's my theory anyway.
gGBN50U.jpg

fYqmiEr.jpg

These two Savinelli 601s were the other items he had for me. I'm not sure what line they are. I got them for 6 bucks each.
The Oom Paul is a London Royal Deluxe which seems to be a domestic product.
3j4WevM.jpg

I hope they don't mind if I camp on the sidewalk in front of the store until next week :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Very impressive. I have a Sav 601 churchwarden, and it is a superior smoker, but I don't think my wife got it for six bucks (as a gift for me). I'm in central N.C. and antique stores just don't seem to carry pipes. When asked about them, they look a little insulted or confused. Yes, I'd camp on the sidewalk on the appropriate day! My churchwarden is non-filter; are the standard stem versions also?

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Pretty much a whole weeks worth of rotation in one go that is amazing and at prices like that I would join you. Wait for them every morning "So you have any more pipes yet?" very nicely done sir.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard it suggested that when you locate a antique store or flea market booth that sells pipes, give them a card with your phone number asking them to give you a call when they get in new pipes. It would take an energetic seller to do it, but some folks would be glad to.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@seacaptain
It should say on the shank or bottom of the bowl.
I would hope so but the only thing on them is "Savinelli Product" and "Italy" stamped on the bottom. I imagine that they were around $100.00 or so new based on similar looking pipes. I thought the fact that the original owner bought two of them was interesting. Who would do that?

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
Those are great finds. I love scoping antique stores for estates, where I live they are usually hiding in the display cases and it's a bit of a treasure hunt. Sadly, the dealers are usually asking too much for them, but I've found some good deals.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@mikethompson
Tuold, the wording on the box means Viennese Coffeehouse Pipe.
I typed the rest into Google Translate:
"These heads are made of the finest porosity clay. They absorb the moisture, which causes a pleasant and healthy smoking."
I was pleased to find the London Royal briar pipe was made by LHS, a plus for me since I already collect those.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
You bagged some nice items there. What is the intended stem for the clay bowls?
Keep an eye out for the Holy Hand Grenade. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.