PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe28

Lurker
Apr 13, 2016
Hello from kinda warm and sunny N.E.Pa.!

Been smoking a pipe for about a month, a bowl when I get home from work/gym, when I'm "puthering" in the work shop or fly fishing.

It took YEARS to find the right pipe AND get to the age where I THINK I look good with one in my mouth, (figured 58 is good, plus more white than blonde hair on the top of my head makes me look better with a pipe)!!

Got a new small Peterson first, then a few estate pipes- a Dr. G and a few others I can't think of their names right now,as well as my 1 Oom Paul that I really like.

Not in Corn Cobb pipes. Just don't like the look of them for some odd reason...............

I think the hardest part to date was finding the right tobacco to burn.

I tried quite a few local blends before discovering 1 Q, (actually read it was a good brand, and I like it), as well as Captain Black White and Royal Blue.

Was watching a movie and saw a guy with THE pipe.

Found out through looking at 100,000 on E bay and every pipe site, it was a Oom Paul style.

I got a estate one, like the way it feels in my mouth, but man it is heavy!!

I fished with it in my mouth like 3 hours and felt like my jaw joint was going to fall off later!

But, I still love the feel of it!

I can't wait to sit @ the camp fire with this and shoot the sh** after a day of fishing!!
So, the question........

I like THAT style, Hungarian, full bent, Oom Paul, THAT style, but am lost on what kind to get that may be a bit lighter in weight, or the CORRECT REAL name, or do I know it already??

At this point in my smoking career, I don't want to invest over $100 for a pipe, and given the places when I have been smoking, a plain estate pipe might be the best option.

What pipe brands can I find this style in?

How can I narrow my search??

Any help, advice, jokes?

Joe

What can I say? I was a change of life baby!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Welcome aboard, Joe.
You're in for a fun ride.
The Oom Paul, traditionally, isn't a small pipe. Although a number of factories and makers have made them in varying sizes. I had a Oom Paul from Philip Trypis that was less than three inches from shank to heel, and with a lovely full bend. All in it was less than 30g. It was an easy smoking pipe for sure.
Check out smokingpipes.com and pay attention to the weights and measurements provided for the pipes you like. In addition to the Oom Paul, look for deeply bent billiards and brandys, you might find one or two that hang just right.
-- Pat

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'd like to see a picture of your Omm Paul. It's one of my favorite shapes too. I don't see them too often on ebay or offered as estates at the usual retailers.
I have a Peterson 306 Aran that I like a lot. It smokes great, looks good and it can hang out of my mouth for hours without fatigue. Plus, it sits well. You might be able to find it on sale for less than hundred bucks if you are patient.
oom%20paul_zpsrcfd0cs3.jpg

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
I work at Uhles and we have one by Edwards only $45.

Have fun and dig around online or call other shops (Steve Willett in his interview alluded to having 1000s of pipes not on the shelf - maybe call LJ Peretti)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
there is a line of pipes called The Pipe, and they're synthetic and heavier than briar.

Most turn their noses at these Philistines presentations to the house of briar, but when you know how to smoke a pipe, The Pipe makes a sturdy traveler.

joe28

Lurker
Apr 13, 2016
Thanks!

I will look at the Edwards.

I got the Oom Paul from a estate sale place in Washington State, off line, at the time I didn't put weight together with WEIGHT,(if it even told the weight??), I saw, I got "lust" for that pipe and HAD to have it!

Still a nice smoking pipe, just leave it home when I'm out fly fishing, or put it one of the 50,000 pockets on my vest!

I think a lot of the problem was I was casting hard, (you know trying to get that fly those extra few yards where I was SURE the trout were just hangin waiting to be caught), and I was giving the pipe stem the "death grip" with my teeth!

Joe

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
I have a Savinelli 620 that is a great pipe and fairly lightweight...
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/savinelli-roma-620-black-stem-tobacco-pipe/

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Joe, I have a fantastic Mastro Beraldi in that style. Smokes like a dream. I've only put 5 bowls through it. I discovered I prefer straight pipes. Bought it new for $120.00. I would let it go for $80.00 if you're interested. PM me with your e-mail if you want and I'll send you some picks. Great pipe, just not for me.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Savinelli has a Roma in that shape for under $100 if you don't want to go the estate route. I really like the one posted above.

joe28

Lurker
Apr 13, 2016
Thanks to all!

I've been hunting for full? bent pipe (when I can here at work), a few have caught my eye like running with a sharp stick, a few I missed on E bay.

I'm beginning to see pipe owning and smoking, (like my Jeep and British Sea Gull outboards), are a addictions!

I've burnt up a lot of the different tobacco I bought when I first took up the hobby.

I'm starting to get the packing down and general workings.

Seems I've narrow my choices down to Lane 1Q, Lane Black Raspberry, along with Captain Black's White and Royal Blue.

The pipe smoke scent from my youth, (my next door neighbor's pipe), name hit me one day out of the blue, Prince Albert, (hence the standing joke in out small neighborhood.......), is my next try.

I find after I get home from the gym, while I am tinkering, a good pipe is something I look forward to, (like my bowl of ice cream at night).

Life little pleasures!

Joe

Men need hobbies!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If you really want to fish and smoke at the same time, a naked cob, the Missouri Pride would be perfect, is your best bet. Light and soft in the mouth, inexpensive, and easy smoking.

joe28

Lurker
Apr 13, 2016
I've been told this by a few people when I decided to jump off the fence and fire a pipe up

I looked and looked and looked again at corn cobs, but, none SCREAM my name?

Same with the Meershaum pipes???

Maybe as time goes on, or someday I'll feel, "experimental" and I'll try one!

Joe

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
A few things about this, pipes cam be almost exactly the same size but different weights. Try to stay easy on the stem when you cast, as you mentioned. An Oom Paul can rest against the chin which will help take some of the weight off, if the stem is bent enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.