Another Falcon pic (man I luv this pipe!)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
First sign of fall is starting. A few trees turning, cooler nights. YES!!!!
Thanks Rich for the sample.
20130922_163353.jpg

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Falcon's are great pipes. For years, I just figured they were a gimmick pipe and never bothered. Then I picked up an estate shillelagh and was hooked. Spent the next two years amassing a collection of bowls and older stems.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I have always had a thing against Falcons, something to do with the metal stem. Saying this I have never heard of, or spoken to anyone who has owned a Falcon say anything bad against them.
That and it's feat of being one of the most sold pipes ever.
:puffy:

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
That is the way I looked at them as well pipeherman. Then I tried one and was hooked. I prefer the black stems to the silver ones though.
They have made over 44,000,000 pipes over the years, that certainly is a testament.
Kathy Worth, the grand daughter of George Hunt, wrote a book called Back from the Ashes. Its an excellent history of the brand. You can get it on Kindle as well. She sells her book via ebay from time to time as well as NOS stems and bowls. I've gotten a lot of stems and bowls from her, stuff dating back to the 60's. Heck, even the colored bowls smoke really good.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I am so frustrated with Kirsten that I may sell mine and pick up a Falcon. Seems like they stand behind their product.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Not to derail the thread, but I've been wondering what the appeal is to these Falcon pipes, why do people like them so much and what benifit do they have over regular briar pipes.

~Ron

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
They smoke wonderfully. I mean damn good. I have not had a bad smoke in one yet. They look odd and it took some getting over the silver metal but I was blown away at how good they smoke.
There is the factor of being able to change bowls and have different bowls dedicated to specific tobaccos. They are easy to clean, even when you are out in the middle of the woods. You can clean out the dome with a leaf if needed. There is no resting required. There is no fear factor like you get with taking nice briar out in public. They are relatively inexpensive and you can set up a nice rotation of bowls and a stem for pretty cheap.
The only drawback I have encountered was smoking one on the way to work and putting the Falcon in my pocket, stem down. Some of the moisture ran out and was pretty nasty smelling. I don't use the rings but a small piece of pipe cleaner does a wonderful job of absorbing any moisture.
That is about it.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Falcons are a great, easy to clean, reliable smoke - it's that simple.
If you travel, one pipe and several bowls will do (more room for tobacco). I thought I was going to be a Kirsten man, but now I own 5 Falcons, including a 1/8 bent Bantam and a shillelagh - shown below. The book mentioned above is about $4.00 for the Kindle version and is an interesting read.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I like the shillelagh. Ill have to keep an eye out for one of those!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Have 2 stems(1 bent,1 straight)and 4 bowls. Just ordered 2 of the group buy meer bowls and am tickled shitless..

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
The rings are not needed unless you smoke very moist baccy and drool. When you buy a new bowl it comes with a ring or two. I've tried 'em a couple of times and neither hate 'em or love 'em.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Just ordered one from Rich, are the rings beneficial?

Hi instymp.
I asked a similar question in another thread.

It seems that some people like them, some prefer simply to bend a portion of a pipe cleaner around a pencil and use that, and some don't bother with them at all.

As with most things, it seems to be a matter of preference. Give them a try and let us know what you think.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
I have three Falcons and they were amongst my first ever pipes (along with Peterson systems) when I began pipe smoking in earnest in my mid thirties. I like them a lot. They are light to hold, easy to pack and fire up, and great for cleaning out in a few seconds. Like a member above, I have experienced the dreaded leakage in the pocket or if the pipe is tipped upwards when in the mouth, and that stuff is foul! However, experience tells after a while and my straight Falcon with an Algiers bowl is a lovely smoker. I have been smoking it earlier today in fact. I use the rings as they do soak up the goo and help with the smoke. My memories when a boy of people smoking them probably influenced me a great deal; they looked both odd and yet workmanlike, almost a tool in someone's hand, part of their daily business. Back in the late sixties, early seventies they were also popular with a lot of young blokes taking up the pipe for the first time, especially here in the North West of the UK! I can definitely recommend them. I am not an avid collector of bowls as I find some of the styles not to my taste, but a Falcon fan? Definitely!

Geo3rge

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
I have three Falcons and they were amongst my first ever pipes (along with Peterson systems) when I began pipe smoking in earnest in my mid thirties. I like them a lot. They are light to hold, easy to pack and fire up, and great for cleaning out in a few seconds. Like a member above, I have experienced the dreaded leakage in the pocket or if the pipe is tipped upwards when in the mouth, and that stuff is foul! However, experience tells after a while and my straight Falcon with an Algiers bowl is a lovely smoker. I have been smoking it earlier today in fact. I use the rings as they do soak up the goo and help with the smoke. My memories when a boy of people smoking them probably influenced me a great deal; they looked both odd and yet workmanlike, almost a tool in someone's hand, part of their daily business. Back in the late sixties, early seventies they were also popular with a lot of young blokes taking up the pipe for the first time, especially here in the North West of the UK! I can definitely recommend them. I am not an avid collector of bowls as I find some of the styles not to my taste, but a Falcon fan? Definitely!

Geo3rge

Status
Not open for further replies.