PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Compare the description with the photos. Pipe remains in great usable condition????????????
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Tobacco-Savinelli-Capri-Root-Briar-Bent-Estate-Smoking-Pipe-619-EX-Italy-/221687502434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339d9ad662

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
The pictures tell the truth. Cracks in the bowl all the way through, giant hole by the button. If anyone bids on it it's not the fault of the seller that bidder is too big an idiot to know this pipe is unsmokeable and probably unrepairable. This is what passes for Darwinism in a capitalist community.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
This pipe has received a general cleaning and sanitation.
They should flush it down the toilet they cleaned it in. Maybe they also gave it a spit shine for good measure.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I sent to the Seller of this pipe the following message: "Your listing states that this "Pipe remains in great usable condition." Really? With three visible cracks in the bowl? Pardon me, but as an experienced pipe-smoker I don't think so."
The Seller promptly responded with this reply: "Hello there, And thank you for your feedback. I can appreciate your perspective on this pipe. Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder and from selling hundreds of tobacco pipes, I know that this pipe will be for some and not for others. No harm no foul, I wish you the best no matter what.

Kindest regards,

-Johnathon"
Am I missing something here??? :crazy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Hunt the Location is Los Angles Calif, that's how they talk in Hollywood, our Govment picked up on this kind of crap talk and now they make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Someone probably told this yahoo that restoring estate pipes on ebay is an easy way to make a buck. Buy some pipes that are really dirty, spend 2 minutes scrubbing them with an SOS pad and make enough profit to retire on. We need a restorer to take offense to these "turds" like that other guy did on hand made pipes. :)

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I checked his other items and found the first to be a propane turkey fryer, maybe I'll suggest he fire up the fryer and aged it in the oil! Nah, I think I'll add him to my no bid list instead. ;)

banjo

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
A counter-example of how another seller (mwreschke) handled a similar issue.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

It was a Larsen (Pearl grade?) Straight Grain straight poker (item # 321680953124), and first of all, the additional description was:

Additional: No tooth marks on the stem. Crisp nomenclature and edges. Clean rim. Has a couple of cracks at the top of the inside of the bowl (see photo). The cracks do go down into the bowl and there are a couple of heat cracks in the bowl. Should still give plenty of enjoyment with proper use. Bid accordingly.

I messaged the seller about his estimated chance of saving the poker and his reply was quite reasonable.

I did discuss having the pipe fixed with my repairman. He said it could be fixed to some degree. While the internal cracking can be filled, the part of the cracks that are in the rim would be difficult to fill. His opinion was to sell it as is and let the buyer make the repair (or have it done). This way the buyer knows the extent of the cracks and can smoke it accordingly. As a pipe smoker who has dealt with heat cracks in a pipe, I believe the cracks can be filled, the pipe smoked gently at first in order to make the filling solid and then smoke it in a more normal fashion for years to come. However if it is continually smoked hot and rough, all bets are off.
I think mwreschke handled it much better.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
We do need to keep track of these guys (or Gals) so everyone on the forum knows they have a shady reputation. The best you could say about someone who responded like that is "convenient ignorance" It's a sad day when "plausible deniability" becomes a substitute for integrity. But when the fraud is exposed and they continue to engage in it, there is no uncertainty as to what They are.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think that you guys are being too hard on the seller. He says that it's in "great usable condition" and it is. It will burn in a furnace quite nicely, providing a bit of warmth. He didn't say that it was in great smokeable condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.