PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Today marked the end of yet another fine season. Had some fantastic time with friends, and did well this season. Closed it out in style today with a full limit of Mallard, teal, and Wood Ducks. I hate to see it go, but am ready for the time to rest as well. Another bowl breaking in my new Layton with some Orlik Golden Sliced. A fine ending to a wonderful day and season.

B

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Hope it was a good one for you. I got out several times early but we don't get enough cold weather anymore to bring down as many birds like we used to. It's that damn Global Warming again!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
While I've raised plenty of meat ducks, if there's one thing I truly love it's wild duck. Mmmm. It's always a sad thing to see the end of another season, be it white tail, duck, or what have ya. But on the bright side, turkey is right around the corner! (kinda)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It's Wabbit Season, you bunch of ninnies!!!! :nana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ocaZb-bGg

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Though I haven't been in a few years, I love duck/goose hunting!

These days I just don't have the time to go, or as many good places to go as I did in the past.

Hunting waterfowl is probably more work than any other form of hunting, and you can sink a small fortune into the equipment, but it's also the most fun you can have hunting as well!

Maybe I'll get a chance to get back out there next season.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I do love some wild duck. Some crispy skin seared wood duck is hard to beat.
Buroak, I fire a pipe up often in the deer blind. Just need the wind in your favor. If there is enough time to smoke while you are duck hunting you should have stayed at home! lol. If it's any good smoking a pipe isn't going to work.
Petes03, it is certainly no cheap venture. I have enjoyed it even with every penny I have put into it. You should certainly get back out there next season.

B

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I hear you pipebow88. I ended the goose season with some friends in a goose pit this AM. Snow coming in and the wind strong enough to keep the dry, powdery snow off the dekes. The birds cooperated and we were fortunate to limit out also. A great end to a great season. Now onto deke maintenance to get ready for next year. And some delicious goose stew & chili. I know Spring is around corner and the turkeys and trout await. :clap:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
If, because of weather or season, you can't hunt ducks or fish for trout, then allow me to recommend the next best thing. Read any of the late author Gordon MacQuarrie's stories about both. Collections of his works include: "Stories of the Old Duck Hunters," "More Stories of the Old Duck Hunters," and "Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters."
Mr. MacQuarrie was a gifted writer who left us too soon. Incidentally, he was also a pipe-smoker.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I've been Waterfowling since I was a kid and still love it!
A tornado of geese Jones, La.

A wagon loaded with Specklebellies. Not sure there is a better eating goose on the planet.

That would be me wearing the Fleur de Lis cap.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
She(Casey) is an excellent Specklebelly caller, seriously!
One more picture.
This is a young Booty Tattoo (call name "Too")on an out of state pothole hunt. I was actually at the place Whitetail hunting when I saw a lot of ducks on the farm ponds. Too passed last Summer at 13 and is buried on my property. Many fond memories hunting with the best companion a man could ask for. She spent her last four years in the house and yard on squirrel patrol as Raider(dog in my avatar- Booty Raider) took over the retrieving duties.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Saint, that is some fine looking hunting there. Hoping for some geese next year. A species I have yet to harvest. You boys in LA are privy to some fine hunting. Training my first lab currently for next season.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Fantastic photos, great stories, Thanks for sharing. My only hunting has been for upland birds this past year and it's slim pickins. There's nothing better than a great bird dog, it's what makes hunting all worthwhile.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
saint007:
In a book titled "Tears & Laughter - A Couple of Dozen Dog Stories" by late author Gene Hill, he had this, in a story titled "Tippy," to say about his late and much beloved black Labrador:
"Someone said that the only place you can bury a dog is in your heart. That way you can call the dog in for a little chat now and then - teasing it about being a clumsy puppy and looking down at your old hunting boots and remembering who it was that put the teeth marks in them. You can hunt a day or so again, together, when you need a certain kind of memory - another day you like better than the one you're living in now.
"There's a big hole under the swamp maple in the front yard that Tippy dug, to nap away the hot summer afternoons in the coolness of the dirt; and another one under the dogwood that she would fill with leaves that she liked for warmth and when the weather turned around - she'd come into the house smelling like November.
"She was always a lady in the old-fashioned sense; quiet, well-mannered and gentle with an overwhelming fondness for little babies. She was always poking her nose into a crib or a playpen or a stroller, seemingly immune from being poked in the eye or having her ears tugged - maybe because she she slept with my daughter Patty in the days when they were both puppies.
"I might be wrong, but I really don't remember losing a bird that I shot over Tip. She was an exciting dog to watch in a field trial or from a duckblind. She was a marvelous marker on a downed game, rock steady to shot, and when she entered the water you knew she was determined to leap as far as she could - she had style and pride and you could feel it. I'm sure she knew it pleased me to show her off a little in hunting camps.
"And she was just as fine on upland game. I'd say "Tip, why don't you get in and hunt that thicket for me. I'll bet there's a bird in there." In she'd go and I'd always marvel how she marked a pheasant or a woodcock from a spot so dense. You wouldn't think she could see a flying bird, but she'd be right about where it went a lot more than I was.
"It's not really important that Tip was a good dog to hunt over, but it is important to me that she was a good dog to be with. She was my pal. We enjoyed each other. I don't know that you can ask for much more. I just want to tell you a little bit about her because you weren't ever able to meet her and now the time has passed. Most of us have had one dog or so that we'd have liked friends to enjoy - and Tip was mine.
"It always seems wrong to me that a man's life is so out of phase with his dog's. You ought to be able to enjoy your youth together and grow old together. Fourteen years wasn't enough time for me to live with Tip. I wasn't even ready to admit to myself that she was getting on...and then she was gone.
"But somehow you learn to live with these things and discover, happily, that a man's ability to care deeply about dogs is without limit. He has room in his heart for them all. Tippy's daughters and granddaughter sleep by my feet and walk with me and get mad when they can't go out with me - just the way Tippy did. And I strongly suspect that before too long there will be a great granddaughter tumbling around chasing the cat, adding a new set of tooth marks on my hunting boots and getting up on the good furniture - another Tippy, to be sure, knowing that there's always enough love left for one more.
"One day soon, on the swamp maple above the dusting hole, I'm going to put a small brass plate with the word TIPPY on it. And there will be only one of those."
Amen.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Hunter, thanks for that! Cochise, who I lost in Dec 2006 had just such a den in the root ball of a tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.