PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I've never done cellaring and am unsure if I'll be able to do so, but am more interested in the possibility of it. So, to the question: if I were to begin to cellar, the only spaces in my house as likely repositories are either a closet on the 2nd floor or in my basement. However, both have draw-backs. The basement, though dry, always smells dank so I'm leery to store tobacco there. The 2nd floor gets warm in the summer because during the day when we're not using the floor we turn the thermostat for it up to 76 to save $. Am concerned that would be too warm. Am I right to have these concerns? Thanks.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I don't the think the moisture or odors of sand can gert through a tin or jar. 76 is too warm; 60-70 perhaps optimal; but 76 is not 80 or 90. I';m thinking the tobacco would age faster but not poorly.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
For the basement, you might look into a product called DampRid or the cheaper alternatives (read the comments on Amazon). I keep a tub of this in my cellar room as an extra precaution.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
Thanks salted, if MA is in for a warm summer this year I'll likely to have move the cellar to the basement, sadly we're without ac in the house.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
I used to keep beer in my crawl space when I lived in WA state. We lived next to a wooded area. Rats chewed some of the wax off the wax dipped bottles. You should be fine if you keep it in hard plastic containers though.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The main concern I'd have in a damp location would be corrosion, especially with square or rectangular tins. While the jar or tin might develop an unpleasant odor on the exterior, I can't imagine it actually impacting the contents.
76F seems completely fine to me.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
For the OP question and specific issue, the best solution IMHO (and with trial and error and experience) is a Cooler, aka ice chest. I use the large Coleman 150 Qt coolers. They are best at insulating the variations in temperature and humidity ambient in the house. I now have two of them. They stack easily on top of each other and you open/close and organize the tobacco easily. Another advantage is that they keep the tobacco smell to a minimum and my gal loves that.
Here is an older picture from my stash. Notice the Coleman cooler on the bottom. I have the advantage of an unused bathroom and I keep the coolers/cellar in the bathtub.

1srMSCf.jpg

From Amazon

61maJpA8oDL._SL1500_.jpg

If you want to get fancy (and I did), you can build a custom cellar with drawers and humidity/temp control.

tBr26t1.jpg

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
76 is not too warm. It should be fine up there.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Thanks for all the opinions guys. Am thinking that if I go with the basement, might be better off using a cooler as well. Though if I ever was lucky enough to accumulate a good haul, would probably need multiple coolers. Would rather go with the upstairs closet-if I can boot my wife's crap out of it. :mrgreen:

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
My cellar is my desk. Hahaha. I don't have the luxury of having private stash in my boarding house. About the condition of the room, don't know how the humidity here (Indonesia is quiet humid if I may say) but I kept it in room temperature. Nothing to worry accept being dirty.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My small stash, 13 tins, is currently a decorative box that sits on a shelf next to my desk. My wife emptied one of her boxes for me to use and the floral box is it for now. I think she did it on purpose. I'll upgrade to something better.
img_20180607_141615.jpg

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Either place should be fine for your cellar. Jars seem to be more reliable for long term storage. They also take up less room and bulk is cheaper than tins. Just stack them on a rack or shelf in the original cardboard case.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I’ll down vote the basement. If the place smells, you probably have a lot of mold spores there. They’ll collect on anything that you put down there, and get into your tobacco when you open a tin or jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.