PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
So while perusing ebay, I ran across this Ruthenberg. It was in my weight and size range so I contacted seller. He had it as a buy now or make an offer and once I contacted him, he told me he was Hiplainsdrifer from the site. We settled on a price and now this will make my 8th Ruthenberg. Brian has retired from making pipes due to health reasons. I love the way Brians pipes smoke and will be on the lookout for more.

s-l1600%203_zpszmtbgagp.jpg

s-l1600%204_zpsjr1h7ce5.jpg

s-l1600%205_zpseeu11jvf.jpg

s-l1600%201_zpsk0vmpsps.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Harris, a very nice looking pipe there, a lovely brindle stemmed, blasted, billiard from Brian. :wink:

May 31, 2012
Very nice,

love the natural virgin look combined with classy cumberland,

and oval-shanked billiards (is it oval? looks like it.) are pretty hard to come by because you just don't see 'em too often.
Sad to hear of Brian's retirement.
Happy puffing with your new Ruthenberg,

enjoy thee well.
Jolly Smoggo!

:puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks guys. Brians pipes are some of the best in my collection right up there with Rad. His pipes have really thick walls and are amazingly light. His stem work is good, but for my teeth Rad is better, but not by much.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Nice pick up Harris! Love my 'Bergs. Like you said, the buttons aren't the most comfortable, but they have a smoking quality that is quite excellent and unique. FYI, my favorite button is now Nate King. Walt Cannoy's buttons are the thinnest I've come across at 3.25mm behind the button, crazy thin.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I like that style of button, so his work is appealing to me. I didn't know he had retired, but certainly he had dropped out of sight. I've handled a few Ruthenbergs,but still have yet to find one of my own. Nice grab! I remember highplainsdrifter.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Harris,
You are making things difficult for yourself, only collecting retired pipemakers' work!
You need to start with one of the younger guys, Ryan Alden or Clark Layton. I don't think they'll be retiring anytime soon!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for the nice comments guys, it is appreicated.

Sam, I have looked at Nate's pipes but unless I can grab an estate for the right money, I won't be buying from him. He is charging way too much for a blasted pipe for such a young guy, 500 plus is totally out of line considering the product he is producing.
Al, his button is fine, he just needed to be a tad thinner behind it, but we are really splitting hairs on this.
click, I recently bought 2 of Ryan Aldens pipes and both are fantastic smokers and lookers. I will be buying more for sure. I cannot help myself when it comes to Brians pipes especially for the price I paid. Maybe someday his pipes will be worth a bundle and my kids will make some good dough.

Status
Not open for further replies.