PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
je1923.jpg

I was inspired and delighted by shaintiques’ posting of his familial-archive picture of his pipe-smoking lady cousins! I didn’t want to steal any thunder from that post and so decided to try my own. The picture above is of my grandfather, taken in 1923 or 24 at the latest. (He was born in 1888.) The little top of the child’s head in his lap was my dad. My family is of German extraction and Grampa’s pipe is a very folksy example of that tradition. What I find even more remarkable about this picture, is that it was taken, developed, and printed by my grandmother herself on a farm well outside of North Washington, Iowa… miles and hours away from any place that could have provided those services. She passed tragically around 1930 or so. As for the pipe, I’m fairly certain it went to pipe-heaven long before I was born. I hope everyone enjoys the pic! :puffy:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's an awesome picture! It's hard to make out the pipe for me. Any hints as to what kind of pipe or tobacco he liked?

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks to all for sure!! Didimauw, I'm not sure what tobacco Grampa smoked by the time I came around in the mid 50's... but I remember playing in his garage and around his work bench where NUMEROUS bright shiny red Prince Albert cans held all kinds of treasures and odds-and-ends hardware... the ubiquitous "Prince Albert In A Can" of advertisement fame. I mean LOTS AND LOTS of P.A. cans! I'll betchya that's a good indicator P.A. was his go-to blend! It was also amazing the creative and practical uses for which a P.A. can could be utilized. Nothing was ever wasted and all those fellers could fix anything and everything from tractors to combines and everything in between!

Status
Not open for further replies.