PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Smoking pipes exclusively now since Jan 14, those "Ah Ha" moments dont come as often. I got one tonight.
I decided to open a 1oz jar of tobacco I put up on Aug 21'st tonight. Not that long in curing but The change was amazing. Ive tried to ask questions about what curing does but was not really that enlightening, I read that one could jar up some Virginia for 3 mths and get an idea. A picture is worth a thousand words, but when it comes to tobacco curing nothing can describe the effect.
After only two months of a unknown tobacco being jarred up, the change is miraculous! I am reasonably sure it was a Virginia from McCelland, possibly #2010 or #2015. It was a bit dry when I got it so I moistened it slightly. The aroma alone is to die for!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Virginia definitely mellows and refines itself with some age. Although burley is not known for improving with age,

some of the burley blends seem to meld better and work better as blends with some time, although probably not

years. Even aromatics, although they can fade and become bland or worse, actually do become less flavored and

more tobacco-forward in a good way, in my experience. Just cracking a tin, whether you smoke it just opened or

not, improves over days or a week or so, drying a little and having a little air. I would never judge a tobacco by

opening it and packing a first smoke. Usually it improves, somewhat or remarkably. It's always good to try drying

out a blend in a small quantity, a few bowls full, to see if that improves the flavor. Sometimes mixing tobaccos or

blends in a bowl and letting them stand overnight or a day or two picks up the flavors in a highly beneficial way. Playing

around with this often produces really pleasing results. I've had a few ah-ha moments along these same lines, hawke.

Status
Not open for further replies.