PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Today I did something I have been meaning to, and putting off. Doing an inventory of my cellar. I had been keeping a spreadsheet, but I have gotten lazy about keeping it up to date. My son came down into the downstairs area while I was diligently weighing my mason jars with their contents, counting tins and packages, and recording it. His comment was that I looked like an obsessed and crazed drug dealer checking his inventory. Well he was half right.
What an eye opening task. I always had an idea of what I had, but not concretely. I found several tins and blends I had forgotten about, and found I don't need to order some bulks anytime soon. I am putting the results into a new updated spreadsheet, and I have to admit my accelerated cellaring has been productive. I project that another year or so at this rate, and I will be sitting pretty good if things go bad.
How often do you all check the cellar? Keep a detailed log of contents?
:puffpipe:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My total PAD for 2011 is 15 pipes and TAD is 38 new tobaccos. I am still using a spreadsheet that I created in MS Works.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
My PAD this year was pretty low, but my TAD.......well, right about 60 lbs.... :roll:
I've been a very bad man. :twisted:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
My entire pipe collection will have to fit on one rack, which I have yet to build.
My entire TAD collection has to fit in one small locker (about one and a half cubic feet).
So I guess I can console myself that I do not need any spread sheets.

I'm trying not to be envious. :mrgreen:

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Hi gecko.
When I first started smoking a pipe I only smoked what I could get at the grocery store or drug store. Later when I wised up a little, I went through what was at the local pipe shop. Then I bought Rick Hackers "The Ultimate Pipe Book" in the late 80's, and really started trying to find "the blend".

I kept track of the blends I tried by writing them down in the blank pages in the back of the book, noting which ones I liked and which ones I didn't. I remember getting to almost two hundred before I just said to hell with all the record keeping.

I kept that book a long time and finally gave it to my son who quickly misplaced it. I wish I had it back now, just to see what I thought about the different blends that I tried.

As for cellering, I just went through what was on the shelf earlier this year and amazingly found a bunch of tins that I had forgotten all about from the "Pipe Collectors Club of America", some old Rattray and Dunhill blends that I set aside in the mid 90's. I have been enjoying those all year. Sadly some can't be replaced since they are no longer making them. These days I usually stick to Middleton's Cherry blend, Middleton's Walnut blend or Hoffman's Spilman Mixture. When I run out I just order another tub.

After all that searching, and sampling this that or the other, it's refreshing not to have to think about what to smoke and whether I'm going to like it or not. Every now and then I'll try something new, but usually come back to those same three.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I had one pipe and one tobacco for a year and a half. I started smoking (seriously) about 6 months ago. Set a spending limit and by using it wisely I managed to add.... 8 pipes and 14 tobacco's.... :rofl: now I gotta wait till January.... Which is tomorrow !!! Better start making a shopping list. My budget won't be that high going forward though :-( i can foretell that difficult choices are ahead in 2012

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Let's see:
Ukrainian pear wood root sitter style bent stem

Savinelli Sherwood Rock 620 bent stem

Doc Grabow Royalton rhodesian freehand style
100 gram tin of Mac Baren Royal Blend

(2) eight ounce foil bags of Esoterica Penzance

2 ounces of Shortcut to Mushrooms

2 ounces of Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding

1.5 ounces of Altadis Rum N' Maple and Irish Creme

One ounce of house Latakia

3 ounces of Corinthian

50g tin of MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake
That's everything worth mentioning that I've acquired since the end of last month (November)
in 2012:
The double plateau freehand custom pipe that smokindawg is making
At least 2 ounces of each of the MacBaren 7 Seas for sampling.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I spend much more money on tobacco than I do pipes. This is a great time to buy tobacco. Tried a lot of new things this year, and the basic inv is in pretty good shape. The cellar - the stuff for long-term storage - needs beefing up, and that's one of my projects for this year. I plan to add at least 10-12 tins, which should make up for what I take out. :puffy:

Oh - and no log, but I check it regularly. The long term stuff is all tinned.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
TAD getting better, drove to My B&M and picked up 2lbs. of baccy today. :clap:

pjm03fatboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2011
Here is some of my PAD
DSCN0437.jpg
But on the TAD i don't have a total just got 8 more tins the other day & hvae about 8 lbs in cellar

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
If gifts count towards TAD I just received a tin of Irish Flake, and 2 oz. each of Nougat, Buttered Rum, and Black Cordial. That makes 42 different tobaccos this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.