PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Anybody else find it a bit annoying when you are smoking outside in cold weather and you can't always tell when your pipe has gone out? I mean sure, you look like you have smoke coming from your pipe but it could just be your breath. Most of the time it's easy but there are those rare times you just can't tell. Ah well, at least I get to enjoy one now before the -30° weather comes.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Funny, I find the opposite and I get a more clear definition of the flavour when I'm cold. In the summer heat I have a hard time distinguishing flavours. What the hell do I know though, maybe my Canuck brain is just frozen?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
The only issue I have during subzero temperatures is that I tend to get a little more condensation in my pipes then I do during the warmer months. Basically, I love my Brigham's during the winter months with their rock maple filters.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Its funny, I would rather smoke outside when its 0 than when its 100. Then again, I am a skier, so there is your full disclosure. In a perfect world we would all have a 20X20 space with electricity, plumbing, and maybe even a small pot belly stove. A fully stocked bar, large screen TV, fridge, and a poker table. That would take care of all of this nasty weather talk

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the perspective. I sometimes forget that between to cold or too hot I'll choose the former.
Anyway don't get me wrong, I like it a bit colder when smoking and as long as the wind isn't howling away I don't even mind a good smoke while bundled up on a walk at 10 below. It just seems like a tiny annoyance to me tonight.
You all have good points about cold weather smoking but this bit just rang true for me.
I get a more clear definition of the flavour when I'm cold.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Oh its annoying Dave don't get me wrong, hence my little hobbit hole of sorts for smoking :)

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/snow-expected-in-fairbanks-area-tuesday/article_5277b2ac-428b-11e4-888f-001a4bcf6878.html
:crying:

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
You Alaskans are tough man. I just HAD to laugh at this line:
Still, it represents the end of a balmy September, with temperatures dipping into the 20s during the evenings tonight and Tuesday night.
He said BALMY September

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
My Filipino skin is not used to the winter, even after 10 yrs of living with it. I can't even imagine sitting outside in the cold, smoking my pipe. Maybe if I was sitting under one of those radiant heaters. I find it hard to relax in the cold. The 20s is way too cold for me. The last time I was walking around with the weather in the 20s I thought my nose was gonna fall off. Thank goodness my better half lets me smoke in the apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.