PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
Hi all. I traded some tobacco on another forum in order to get my hands on some Anniversary Kake. I'm really trying to explore Va/Pers at the moment and this sounded absolutely delicious. Now here is where I am confused. I expected this to arrive in a similar consistency to C&D's King Cake in that I would be able to pull off chunks/bits/pieces. Instead what I've gotten is hard as a rock. It looks like a cake but the tobacco is not pliable at all. I'm not able to bend it, pinch any off, etc. The only way to really separate this would be to cut it like a plug but I just didn't expect that this would be the proper way to prepare it. If I threw it at someone's head - they would be likely to get a concussion. Did I not have proper expectations or is this really unusual for Anniversary Kake? Any advice is appreciate.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
5th that.

My experience is that it is a soft cake, and will practically fall apart on its own.
Pics would help.

Is it rock hard and dry? Could be that it was not stored right

Or the previous owner maybe pressed it into more of a plug? (grasping at straws)

Hmm... that sounds interesting. Anni Kake plug. Now where did I put my 50 ton press??? :)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
What they said.
I have several pounds of Russ's Anniversary Kake that I've bought over the years and it is all loose cut, with a few crumbly chunks thrown in for good measure.
Please post a photo if you can.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'm an interested bystander, Pipebeast.
I can't stand the stuff but I cellar it deep and wide because most VaPer smokers love it. Anni Kake is very affordable in the States and, with several years worth of proper cellaring, induces multiple orgasms among many, many smokers.
If you're having problems posting pictures, I'll PM you my email address and we'll get the culprit posted.
Fnord

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
This thread is reminding me I really should lay in another pound soon. My tins of Anni Kake are almost always loose, while the bulk I've purchased was still about 60% in crumble cake form.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Interesting. Looks like there is a new form for Anni Kake. First link is the new Flake tin, second is the original:
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/?q=anniversary+kake
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/hearth-home-signature-anniversary-kake-pipe-tobacco/1472947/

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
My experience is the same as everyone else's. The couple pounds I have were all broken up with small chunks that are very easy to break apart.
The real deal is very good. Nice bready taste.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
I should have taken a picture but I tossed it because it didn't seem smokable at all. Best I can describe it - it was like someone dropped it in water maybe then it dried and hardened. It did look similar to the anniversary kake bulk linked above from dread. I'll have to wait until it's off backorder and grab it. I think possibly I just ended up trading someone who was trying to get rid of some bad tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.