PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I love the taste of H&H Anni Kake but every time I smoke it I get tongue bite. I have tried it at various dryness levels and it doesn't seem to matter. I tend to smoke a little fast but I have not had anything, even Macbaren blends to burn me like this one does. Not sure what it is. It sure tastes good but the pain is not worth it.

Have you ever had a blend you really liked but could not smoke it?

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Sure have. MacBaren Virginia #1. I went through a whole tin over a couple months, biting me and burning hot all the way. It wasn't until the last few bowls that I figured out how to smoke it, and it was amazingly good. It was a combination of rubbing it out, packing it a little looser, smoking it very slow, and a medium sized pipe vs. the small pipe I was using.
That or maybe it was just dried out. Probably just that it was dried out....especially considering I never dry my tobacco, and rarely keep any in the tin long enough for it to dry out much.
We all seem to have different body chemistry. Aromatics also tend to bite me also if not smoked carefully. Good luck!

At first, Va #1 burned me also, but when I found a Va that didn't bite, I stuck with it, and would vary only to other Va's. Then, none of the Va blends ever burned me after that.
There was a huge discussion on the Facebook forum where someone had said that once you have the acidity set in your mouth for a blend, (something about microbes and acidity) then to vary outside of that, you will get a chemical reaction that causes the bite. Va's are very +PH, and aros and lat blends tend to be closer to a neutral PH. (If I am explaining this right) Lat lovers tend to be able to branch out more, and aro folks can as well. But, once you have your mouth in PH balance with a Virginias you really can't branch out very far.
Whether this is correct or not I can't say (as I am not a scientist, but it makes sense) I do notice that lats and aros will start to bite even after the first bowl. When I smoke even a small bowl of my favorite aro, Molto Dulce, I start to get bite, and same for any of the Froggy blends.
So, maybe the reason some get bite from certain Va's... is a matter of bugs in their mouths :D

Status
Not open for further replies.