Anni are you okay? Anni are you ok? Are you ok Annie?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
You've been hit by, you've been struck by a smooth criminal. Lol!
For some reason this song was looping in my head as I was smoking some Anniversay Kake last night. After about 3 to 4 months of smoking, I find myself drawn to Vapers. I liked this blend because it was both sweet and peppery. I got the plums and the steak, plus, it was smooth as hell. Does anyone know if there is some kind of wine topping on this blend. I could have sworn the aftertaste tasted like a semi-sweet Cabernet.
Also, I tend to be drawn to sweet Vapers that taste like plums? Is that from the Perique or the Virginias? How does one single out the taste of Perique? In my mind, I compare Anni to the OGS that I just smoked and to me, the OGS was missing some of the bass notes that were in the Anni.
So far my favorites are (in order of preference):

PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake - notich of a plum taste but this stuff is good

Anni Kake- plum, coffee, and wine

St. James Flake- plum, plum, plum but can be kind acidic

PS luxury Navy Flake- sweet and nutty

Old Dark Fired- although I have to be really careful with the nicotine in this one

Escudo- had one really good smoke with this one--- the rest of the smokes just didn't do it for me
The suggestion box is open. Thanks for reading my rambling.

Dec 24, 2012
Is that from the Perique or the Virginias?
Definitely from the perique. Perique is an odd beast. Sometimes with age it it loses its spiciness and becomes even more plum-like by in taste. In other cases though the spiciness seems to only become amplified with age (Solani 633 being a prime example, in my experience). I don't know why this is the case.
I have some old (2001) Escudo now and it is unbelievably sweet with strong notes of plumb and other dark fruit.
You should try Dunhill's Deluxe Navy Rolls and then tell us whether it is the exact same as Escudo or whether it is a sweeter version of Escudo.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
One you don't here about quite as often is McConnell Scottish Cake. One of the best "plum" blends imho..

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks! I've been eyeing thise Deluxe Navy Rolls from Dunhill. I'm gonna get some in my next order. I was really excited to try the Escudo. I was given a sample by one of the members of this lovely forum. For some reason, it burns no matter how slow I try to smoke it. It was just that one time that it was really sweet and fruity. I still have some of the sample and haven't given up on it. I think it has some age on it, I just don't know how much.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I like the sweet but anything peppery forget it, I don't like pepper or spicy in food or tobacco. My ultimate would be a medium to strong bodied sweet smelling and tasting cake or rope. Yet to find one and that's the only reason I am yet to try Ropes and Plugs, Cake, Flake. But I am dying to try a decent one as I find Im looking for a stronger smoke in the evening

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
have you ever tried Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake, if not I think you will like it

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Toby, now might be the time to buy a new Stanwell so you can try Anniversary Kake for free. Oh, and I don't work for Pipes and Cigars.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I single out perique when I "snork" or "retrohale" the smoke out through my nose as a slight green pepper sensation. When the tobacco is in a tin it has a baked bread/raisin/dried fruit scent.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Toby, now might be the time to buy a new Stanwell so you can try Anniversary Kake for free. Oh, and I don't work for Pipes and Cigars.
Unfortunately they do not ship to Australia otherwise I would be buying a Stanwell as I want one in my collection

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Minfarshaw, a tobacco I quite like with a really nice plummy tin note and "sweet" (non aro) plummy flavor is 4Noggins Prairie Wind. It has a fair bit of perique, the virginias are very smooth, its inexpensive and Rich is a top notch guy. It does need some dry time however.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Both Anni Cake and Classic Burley Cake were too sweet for me.

I mixed them together with a dash of Louisiana Red and called it "Cake Mix".

There may be a jar or two of this mix left if anyone wants it.
I'll put in another +1 for 4 Noggin's Prairie Wind, though.

It's not as sweet as the Anni Cake and has a chocolate note to it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'd recommend Weybridge, Dunhill Navy Rolls (one of my favorite tobaccos), Louisiana Red, and since you like Anni Kake, you ought to try H&H Virginia Spice.
Anni Kake has some rum in it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I forgot to add Rolando's Own, which always seems to fly under the radar, but is well worth trying.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
If lighter nicotine and plummy instead of peppery is your preference then McClelland St. James Woods is one you might want to put on your "to try" list.

adam12

May 16, 2011
So do you prefer the Alien Ant Farm version, or the original by Michael Jackson?
:puffy:

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Six Pence is a new Va/Per blend from G.L.Pease. Those who love Va/Per blends seem to like it. I bought a tin on my last TAD purchase, and it wasn't really my style. I will probably stick it in the back of my cellar for a few months and try again. Then again, I'm not much of a fan of Va/Pers. I prefer English/Balkan or Va/Burs.

Status
Not open for further replies.