PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

napulitano215

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2012
Is there such a Tobacco flavored with Sambvca (Anisette) only or with Anisette and other flavored mixed as well?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Carter Hall has an anisette topping of some sort. GL Pease Six Pence is supposed to have it as well.

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Esoterica has two that have a "licorice" topping or flavoring. I think Blackpool and Ramsgate are the ones you seek....

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Rattray's Stirling Flake has an anise topping as well
GL Pease Six Pence is supposed to have it as well.
This one seems a little more grape/wine/brandy to me so far.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Licorice flavorings go back a long way. many classic British and American tobaccos have used it. One of my current favorites is Uhle's #255. It's a cubed burley with a licorice topping. I also suspect athat P&C's Fusilier's Ration uses it and it's a wonderful blend to boot.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Six Pence is the only tobacco I'm aware of that uses an Anisette topping. I believe Aniseed or licorice is the house topping at Germain's and it's apparent even in Penzance. I think the new Irish Flake continues to use anise, but my last tin was of dubious provenance.

P

pipebuddy

Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake.

Esoterica Blackpool & Ramsgate, yes.

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky has some.

Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake (very similar to Orlik just mentioned) has some.

Some Gawith & Hoggarth Bulk tobaccos could have some.
For the rest, it's Sunday morning and I feel a bit too lazy to undergo intensive research to identify more.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A footnote: In the 1950's, where I lived, you could still go to the local pharmacy and buy licorice root, actual lengths (about 4 inches) of the root of the licorice plant. I think these were used in certain kinds of medicinal teas and such as a sort of folk remedy, but we would just suck it and chew on it to get the flavor, as a sort of candy. It was pretty tasty and put me off commercial sweetened licorice forever.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Six Pence is the only tobacco I'm aware of that uses an Anisette topping
Where are you getting this info? I only see it listed as alcohol / liquor other than personal reviews.
After sniffing Stirling Flake, which is clearly Anise, Sixpence smells nothing like it.
Point me to a link please ... thanks!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Thanks to a conversation on here I've been smoking germain's plum cake. The tin note is all anise. In the pipe I get rum.
There is a brand of cheroot called Avanti, which has an anise flavor. They are way too topped for me to smoke but if I put one (whole) in a mason jar with some other pipe tobacco, in about a month a nice hint of the anise leeches into the pipe tobacco.
I used university flake for this but any burley would probably work well.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Great thread. There are a number of blends mentioned that I have been meaning to try, and will without hesitation avoid as I can't stand anything with anise in/on, or even in the room while blending.
As for Sixpence, I didn't care for that blend, smoked an entire tin but it just wasn't for me. I didn't detect any anise on it though.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thanks sallow, it looks like I am sol on that one, they only ship in the US and Milwaukee is too far of a drive for me :cry:

I'll have to look for another tobacco with Anisette.
Mark

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Irish Flake has a very little bit of a licorice thing going on, but I don't thinks it's actually topped with it.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Where are you getting this info? I only see it listed as alcohol / liquor other than personal reviews.
After sniffing Stirling Flake, which is clearly Anise, Sixpence smells nothing like it.
Point me to a link please ... thanks
https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/our-two-cents-sixpence

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
HU-Tobacco's Nashville County is a fantastic blend that has some anise or licorice topping. It's a Virginia Burley. One of the best blends I've tasted. Can be ordered online but only from the blender in Germany, though.
I always enjoy a bowl of Erinmore Flake as well. Also a VaBur with anise, but much more virginia-forward and not as sophisticated as the Nashville County.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I could be wrong, probably am, but I *think* Sail Green has some anise topping. I tried for years to figure what the flavor was, then read a review that mentioned anise and that seemed right.

Status
Not open for further replies.