PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I just heard that some cigarettes use animal products in their sticks. Would the fount of wisdom here know what pipe tobacco manufacturers and/or blends don't?

There's cat hair in just about every bowl I've ever had. It's also in just about every food I've had.
Animal products, where did you hear this? Is it like agricultural products, where there is an acceptable percentage of such and such per pound? Or, is this like something intentionally added for flavor?

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Animal products can be used as starch, flavouring and the like. Now, part of the appeal of pipe tobacco is that there are less unnecessary additives like they use in cigarettes. Just making sure I know which blends to enjoy to minimise said consumption.

Well, many candy flavors that are far from real flavorings, like apple and grape and such, which taste nothing like the real fruit generally come from beaver musk glands, or some such thing. I have no idea if any of these are used in pipe tobacco, but it wouldn't bother me. I like animals.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A few blends really challenge the nose with scents of horse stall sweepings and barnyard mucking essences ... and unfortunately (?) some of these blends, once lit, are delicious. Can't you see a handsome tin with ornate art, imprinted with the blend name Pig Flop. I hope animal parts are mostly insect tidbits from the tobacco fields and the occasional hair of some pet or person.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
If by "animal product" you include manure, then it would not surprise me if cigarettes contain some. Likewise OTC cigars and pipe tobacco.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, a pack of dogs rummaged through a tobacco field yesterday. Probably some tiny traces of urine will show up on spotty (and spotted) samples of leaf at harvest time. Call the EPA!!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If by "animal product" you include manure, then it would not surprise me if cigarettes contain some. Likewise OTC cigars and pipe tobacco.
It'd surprise me unless very careless harvesting methods are used. Leaves are cut then don't touch the ground, then hung to dry. In some cases, leaves are washed, but not because they're feces encrusted.

Now you can have a piece of Danish with your morning pipe.

:rofl:

It'd surprise me unless very careless harvesting methods are used. Leaves are cut then don't touch the ground, then hung to dry.

Back in the day, we would cut the stalks and let them lay in the ground until we got a row complete and then someone would then stack them and drag them to the barn to be hung. Maybe on a small scale, like in my own backyard garden can one gather the lugs and clip leaves, but on a large scale tobacco farm, you harvest the stalks. But, you wouldn't find manure in the field, unless it was some freak weirdness.
Jessicac hasn't stated, but is this about vegan concerns, or just wondering out loud?

If it is a vegan thing, then you're going to find honey in many casings. You'd have to do some super sleuthing to avoid that. If it is just a "what in the world" could be in cigarettes thing, then it could be anything.
I went to go visit a cigarette factory back when I was a kid, and had an uncle working for Phillip Morris. They would crush all juices out of the tobacco, until it was just cellulose, and then mix all of the juices together and add flavorings and chemicals, and then re-hydrate the pulp. Anything, literally anything could have been added.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
They add urea taken from the urine of cows to the cigarettes. If I remember correctly, they are adding urea to cigarettes to make the cigarette smoke smoother while inhaling. Since pipe smoke is on the harsh side for inhaling, I guess they are not adding it to the pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.