Status
Not open for further replies.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
This is how it started:
ibhE8EHazYwmuD.jpg

Source: SA-Kuva, http://sa-kuva.fi/ Finnish Wartime Photograph Archive
"Slingshot used to fling handgranades in 3/I JR 32 area. Lieutenant Kauniskangas and ensign Turunen are streching the apparatus. Range around 150 m. Uhtua region."

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I'm not at all surprised, though very amused. If you read up on what Finish soldiers did During the Winter War, you'll find a few crazier things.

Like throwing bottles of nitroglycerin at tanks.

Heeeeyyy, that would combine pretty well with this idea!

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Like throwing bottles of nitroglycerin at tanks.
Actually they were just petrol bombs, named after the Russian foreign minister, Molotov. Story here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov_cocktail

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I seem to remember reading something about the Finnish Molotov containing Nitro in A Frozen Hell, but I could be wrong, since it's been a while since I read it and I don't currently have it on hand. Throwing an incindiary at the vulnerable engine exhaust and igniting the fuel did work, but something stronger would be required to damage a tank's treads and immobilize it, which I know the Finns liked to do as well. Brilliant ingenuity in the absence of "real" weapons regardless!

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Ah, it's quite possible that the cocktail had several versions ("don't shake or stir the those bottles over there"). I just commented from what I remember learning in history lessons in school.
I should probably check that book out.
Cheers!

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
It's a great read, definitely worthwhile! It does a fair job of looking at the overall strategy while digressing into small-unit tactics (like the roles of Molotovs, snipers and skis) and more microscopic views of certain skirmishes. Though I don't know if there was any mention of slingshots.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I guess the slingshots were an anomaly, or maybe we Finns started using them only in The Continuation War (the photo is from that time).
I have recommended this write-up http://ar.to/2010/08/red-blood-white-snow for people interested about Finland, and the Winter War. It's rather well written, but certainly not altogether non-biased. I see that the writer lists The Frozen Hell as one of the sources.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
Thanks for posting this! I'm of Finnish descent and have always been intrigued by what Finland was able to do in the Winter War. I've only read Richard W Condons book on the war and haven't had the opportunity to dig in any deeper than that.

My grandparents made sure that I understood what "sisu" was and how much of a blessing it is to have Finnish blood in my veins. They were so proud of their heritage!

I appreciate you posting this jarit! It's been too long since I've thought on it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.