PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Picked up this Andrew Marks prince/apple (2002) recently from Pipestud for way less than it would have cost new. Plus it's got a really small chamber, so perfect for the strong burleys and plugs I usually smoke.
IWuqjx5.jpg

6zGTcYw.jpg

XcNxct9.jpg

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I remember seeing that beauty and was very tempted as I've been wanting want to get one of his pipes for a long time. It's interesting that this long time well regarded US pipe maker's briar's don't command higher prices on ebay. A year or so ago he sold a newly carved one himself on ebay and the selling price was quite low, so I assume that's partly why he stopped. Once you get a few bowls through it I'd be interested in your opinion.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I remember a few of those pipes passing through ebay and selling for next to nothing.
He has a lot of loyal customers who buy his pipes directly and I think he's content with that. As far as I know, he sells whatever he makes pretty quickly. And they don't come cheap. But he doesn't do the show circuit and is just out there on his own in Vermont, doing his thing.
I have 5 of his pipes and they all smoke great. Wide open, smooth drafts. Comfortable stems with very rounded, soft buttons (which I prefer) and some of the tastiest briar in the business (IMHO). I highly recommend them as smokers and as works of original craftsmanship. They aren't "perfect," however. They are very much freehands -- he doesn't have a lathe -- and so the shaping is very organic (i.e,, asymmetric, irregular). I love his shapes, though, and have really enjoyed the pipes as smokers.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
There's a great video of Andrew making pipes in his shop. Shot by his son Ezra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJfbfSWEeoM&spfreload=10
I'm not certain, but pretty sure that he's working on one of my pipes at about 3:00 (right before he grabs a cup of coffee). He made my pipe in early November of that year, right before the video was uploaded and that looks like it. This one:
andrew-marks-old-favorite-004-600x400.jpg

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Interesting. No lathe. Knowing what a good sander can do to briar I always wondered if there were carvers out there like him.
What a great video. Thx for posting. The shape and color of your Marks is stunning. One of the best I've seen. I passed on quite a few estates over the years because no one talks about his pipes. Oops.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks for the compliments on the pipe, buckaroo. He calls that stain "bright ember" -- not sure if it's listed on the web page. I'm sure more Marks pipes will come along. They rarely sell for over $100, except for a few really nice ones.
Here are my others:
VyPoBxz.jpg

2SlneRE.jpg

uZyvpDk.jpg

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Very nice! I still tend to think the very first one is the cream of the crop, but a very nice crop it is. Bright ember is the perfect name/ description for that stain. Couldn't have said it better myself. A fun, bright pipe.
I've never been lucky enough visit a pipe carver in person, but I imagine I could watch him all day and he'd have to force me to leave. Always enjoyed making things out of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.