PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That has become my theme song this month. Since our two dogs have trotted off to greener pastures, we've been slowly reworking the house we've lived in for 19 years. Next up, new carpet in three rooms. I agreed but should have known that was "wife speak" for we're also going to paint, install crown molding and chair rail. I didn't think too much about it, until she told me that I'd have to pack up my pipe cabinet. I told her to pretend that is my version of Jackson Brown's piano, it's the last to go.
We started the process last night, the pipes are all in two tubs protected with layers of towels. I guess it will be like camping for two weeks (carpet gets installed on 7/14, so we have to be done by then).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
And, we literally do have a piano, a Lester that was made in 1898. The soundboard has a crack but still sounds pretty good most of the time. But, our piano players have left, so we're trying to find a home for it (harder than it sounds). My oldest daughter, who lives nearby doesn't want to give it up, but she's trying to find a home for it. It seems modern homes don't have much piano room. That failing, a friends son, a musician said he wanted it. It will take four to six strong guys to move it. I've moved it four times myself and I'm retired from that...

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I've got the folks from Habitat for Humanity coming by tomorrow to pick up our Geroge P. Bent Crown Baby Grand. We've had it for 20 years. Nobody's played it in over 5.
I looked into completely restoring it and re-stringing it... Somewhere around $4,500 to $6,000. After I'm all done with the resto I could sell it for... $3,000 to $5,000.
Time to donate it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Excellent decision not to move the piano yourself. You only have one spinal column. The guys who do this are in shape, but far more important, they know a thousand tricks to survive in their business. My wife had a piano hoisted out of an apartment in NYC. It had been bought up some narrow stairs, but the crew said it was going out the window. ghhhhh, says the cat.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
We recently donated our old upright piano to the local middle school music department. They came and picked it up themselves, and were grateful to receive it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Unless one needs a five figure tax write off one does not donate an antique, sought after piano. Broken soundboard or not, that piano is worth some bucks. That ain't no cheapo, upright Baldwin! At least, not from the picture.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We had it on Facebook, Craigslist and Ebay, with no takers. There is a company down south, that sells antique pianos. They would only take it if we paid them $4k to restore it. Them they would sell it on commission. We passed on that. It was given to us 25 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.