PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Just last summer the family and I moved into a house on the lake here in North Texas, and tho we do love the house my current job is an hour and a half commute each way, in a truck with a V-8 that equate $600-$650 a month in fuel. Now my wife is on the short list with my company interviewing for an office manager position in the Dallas office. So it only makes sence that we live closer...the hunt for a house began today, hopefully she gets the job and we make the move this summer sometime.

I don't know which I dispise worse the act of moving or looking for a house.On the other hand $600 a month extra would really stock a cellar quick!! :puffpipe:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Do you need to drive such a gas hog for work? lol $600 a month in fuel HOT DAMN lol
That's Texas for ya.
Good luck on the hunt!

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
From a guy with 3 ex's, put $250 toward stocking the cellar and the rest toward the wifey's choice in gottta have furnishings for the new house. You will get to enjoy nearly every penny and the wife stays happy. I guess I just wasn't good at the marriage lifestyle.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Chris,
I'm in the same boat my wife and I work for the same company same location but it's over an hour from home. Problem is we don't always work the same shift so sometimes we are here with two vehicles. Mine of course a full size Dodge Ram. My only advice is to find a place closer to your hunting grounds so you can sleep a little longer during duck season! :wink:

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
My only advice is to find a place closer to your hunting grounds so you can sleep a little longer during duck season!
thats what has kept me here so long, my blind is about 10 min from my house
Do you need to drive such a gas hog for work
I actually dont have to,but even if I bought a fuel efficient vehicle its stillan hour and a half one way...and I can't make myself like the idea of driving something other than my truck

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It doesn't have to be a prius. Get a small sports car and zippidy doo dah all the way to and fro. :wink:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good luck with the hunt Chris - these days buying is easier than selling, hope yours sells fast.
I used to do a 1 hr commute, but a 1.5 hr commute is a long time to be in a car every day. If it makes you feel a little better, my brother-in-law used to do a nearly 2 hr commute on a train (4 hrs total) every day for 25 years.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
FWIW - I drive a mini cooper and you won't find a car that's any more fun to drive - it handles like a go cart. Very fast (esp the "S" version) and I get 40mpg (doing a combo of city and hwy).
images

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Wife has an 08 Touring Prius, bigger wheels tighter suspension, averages 42 mph around town driving, I got 52 one time comeing back from Houston, I drive a Tundra and. 96 4 wheel drive John Deere, it has a 3 cylinder diesel and 5 gallons goes a long long way, back to the Prius, bought it the end of 07, other than oil , tires, and a battery this year zip repairs, next one will be the Prius V, little bit bigger version, I am amazed what my wife hauls in that Hatchback, when I bought that she was driving an FG Cruiser 4 wheel drive, monthly gas bill went from approx 220$ to 90$ a month, big, big difference. The old cajun

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I hope all goes well with your experience of finding a new home and the move. Hopefully you can carpool with your wife some days if she gets hired at your company.
I lived in North Richland Hills and worked on Irving which was 25 miles each way. It took about 1 hour each night going home.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Our office is uptown ( on Mckinney) but I office at the job (currently childrens) our new office will be close to Love Field. We live at Cedar Creek Lake, It has taken as long as two and a half hours to get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.