PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rat32

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2018
tx
img_02872-150x112.jpg

Cutting and drying today, tomorrow and the next, etc.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What'cha doing there, rat'? The photo is small. Looks like an open folding knife and maybe a plug of tobacco in plastic? What's going on? What's your experiment?

rat32

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2018
tx
Sorry I am working on a resize, but basically it's a plug of Days Work I am trying to convert to pipe tobacco. Bought it about 3 months ago, never unwrapped it, and you could almost wring it out it is so moist. Planning a little mix but with some burly, but as wet as it is, it might be next year.
img_02871-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since chewing tobacco is soft enough to tear off with your teeth, it is pretty moist, so I think you need to slice it thin, rub it out well, then let it dry for maybe even several days to a week. Others have run the experiment, and I don't recall any being particularly happy with the resulting taste, but you might have a different experience. I'll be interested to hear.

rat32

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2018
tx
Rat hard to see what you are up to. Is that chewing tobacco? Are you planning to dry and then smoke it?
I think I got it down now, probably over thinking the whole posting pics. process.

rat32

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2018
tx
Since chewing tobacco is soft enough to tear off with your teeth, it is pretty moist, so I think you need to slice it thin, rub it out well, then let it dry for maybe even several days to a week. Others have run the experiment, and I don't recall any being particularly happy with the resulting taste, but you might have a different experience. I'll be interested to hear.
Me too, at the price I paid, could have got some flake, with less work

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I never considered smoking Days Work, but I sure did chew a hell of a lot of it years ago. It's got a good robust flavor that'll put hair on your toe knuckles for ya.

I found that one to have a really sweet casing, maybe molasses. I wasn't thrilled. It's a dark fired plug, and the casing doesn't really translate well into the smoke for me. It has a bitter, burned sugar flavor. It may be a good chew, which I don't, but as a pipe tobacco, it lacks something.

rat32

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2018
tx
I found that one to have a really sweet casing, maybe molasses. I wasn't thrilled. It's a dark fired plug, and the casing doesn't really translate well into the smoke for me. It has a bitter, burned sugar flavor. It may be a good chew, which I don't, but as a pipe tobacco, it lacks something.
Well gonna give it a try, and mix it with some burly when it dries if it ever does. :D

rat32

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2018
tx
I never considered smoking Days Work, but I sure did chew a hell of a lot of it years ago. It's got a good robust flavor that'll put hair on your toe knuckles for ya.
My Dad's go to chew, had a bite of it many times.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I get those regularly under $5, but just too cased and sticky to try to smoke for me. Good luck!

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Guys, the tobacco is made to chew, just like Mammoth Cave, Cotton Boll, King Bee, Cannon Ball and the like.
We guys around here chew the shit like crazy. 'Taint meant to smoke, boys!

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Lots of those old-time blends are made to either be smoked or chawed. Once when I was about 16 I tried to smoke Red Man Gold. 0/10, would not recommend. But any twist and lots of plugs tend to make good smokes as well as chaws.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Guys, the tobacco is made to chew, just like Mammoth Cave, Cotton Boll, King Bee, Cannon Ball and the like.

We guys around here chew the shit like crazy. 'Taint meant to smoke, boys!
Most can be, and a lot of pipe tobacco can be chewed.

rat32

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2018
tx
Well, I have completed my task and here are the findings. Yes you can smoke chewing tobacco, even loaded with molasses. Dried for 5 days and thought time to try, still too damp in my opinion, but gave it a whirl. I found after lighting it was kinda hard to keep lit, but did manage to produce a acceptable burn. Taste was kinda nondescript, not much there to keep you smoking it.
Conclusion- It can be done, but not worth the effort, very little taste.I give it a fail, and I know I have been told by some that you can't do it, you can, but not worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.