PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fasthound

Lurker
Feb 14, 2016
As I said in my introduction thread, I am very new to the relaxation and enjoyment of pipe smoking. Knowing next to nothing on this endeavor and Wyoming being the pipe smoking desert that it is, I simply hit up the local "smoke shop" and bought a couple, H.I.S, pipes and some, Captain Black Tobacco, in a few different varieties. This would have been a good time for a mentor to have stepped in and said, "Hey, dum dum, don't do that". Anyhow, that is how I got started.
It did not take me long to figure out that I would have to go on a search of better quality, or this journey for enlightenment and relaxation would be very short lived. Looking around online I was able to find several places that not only had may different offerings of tobacco, but they also had pipes of all different shapes, sizes and prices. For the next several days I studied up and read all that I could on what might be best for someone who had not yet developed a particular taste in tobaccos. I also read through quite a few of the threads on here hoping a little wisdom might somehow makes its way my direction.
I ended up placing an order with, Pipes and Cigars, and since I had a friend who was in Boston for work, I prevailed upon her to visit, L.J. Peretti's. Today was like Christmas as everything came in all at once.
From, Pipes and Cigars, I ordered -

Bjarne Viking Denver Bent Egg

Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman Bent

The Davidoff Luxury Pipe Tobacco Sampler-

Davidoff Scottish Mixture Pipe Tobacco

Davidoff Danish Mixture Pipe Tobacco

Davidoff English Mixture Pipe Tobacco

Davidoff Royalty Pipe Tobacco

Davidoff Flake Medallions
When my friend went to, L.J. Peretti's, I told her to explain the situation and ask for their advice on what a new pipe smoker might best enjoy. She ended up picking four different varieties for me to try. -

No Name

Blend 432

Whiskey Cavendish

Cuban
So far I have only had the chance to try the, Blend 432 from Peretti's, and the, Davidoff Flake Medallions.

I'm not sure I have developed a good enough palate to fully appreciate everything yet, but I am trying to distinguish the different characteristics that each tobacco has.
At this point, I still know next to nothing and I'm trying to figure out the best ways to enjoy the different varieties. Should I try something new each time I light up, or do I want to smoke a few bowls of one tobacco before moving on to another?
What should I be on the lookout for?
I will try to keep this updated with my thoughts as I move through the different choices I have.
Thanks,

Tex

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
It took me 4 years to learn what "sipping" a pipe meant. Once I learned to hold back and take it slow, everything became more enjoyable.
Peretti's has some great blends. I like 432 and the Cuban a lot. My fav is likely Tashkent.
I'd say to smoke a few bowls of one tobacco before moving on to another.
That worked best for me.
Grab a few MM corncobs as you'll be doing a lot of sampling.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Yep, it took me a couple of years before I started "tasting" the flavors of various blends...and that made smoking pipes that much more enjoyable. Have fun Hound! You've got a great start.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Well fasthound, you're committed now! I'd suggest sticking with one blend for a few days to get a feel for the taste.
Or, just smoke whatever you feel like in whatever you feel like. Happy puffing.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Sounds like you're on the right path. Your pallet will develop as you grow into this hobby. I still don't understand why the majority suggest aromatics for beginners? Anyway just go with what ya like and enjoy the process after all it's about the journey not the destination. I think you were very wise to order that sample package.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Whoa. That's a really nice haul. I personally like to alternate blends and styles from bowl to bowl, but that's just me. I wouldn't worry too much about picking up all the nuances and flavors. I think some of that is overstated. At least for me is. If I like it, I smoke it. If I don't like it, well, I'll try a few more times, but if there's no enjoyment, adios.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
That is a great score. I would smoke one blend for a bit then try others to experience the differences once you learn the basics and main flavors of each blend. a blast and just take it slow. Watch the heat and have some eater or a cold beverage handy.

fasthound

Lurker
Feb 14, 2016
Disclaimer: I am not a connoisseur of tobaccos, so please don't think I'm getting uppity by describing what I'm experiencing.
So far, I have tried a bowl each of the, Peretti's Cuban and Blend 432.

They both smell great in the bag. The Hostile Native commented that they both have a more natural, tobacco-y type smell compared to the sweet aroma of the Captain Black tobaccos I started with.
The, Blend 432, was the tobacco I went with first and I noticed a remarkable difference from what I had been smoking right off the bat. That maiden puff was almost like a first sip of good whiskey after a long day in the saddle. I could almost feel the relaxation beginning. Just like I have read on here though, tobaccos don't normally taste like they smell and this one was no different. Different areas of our tongues have taste buds that respond to different flavors, and going by the smell of this particular blend, I was expecting to feel the most reaction toward the back of my tongue. Right off there was a definite 'floral' note that was hitting on all cylinders right square in the middle. In the bag, the tobacco smelled like really good fresh cut hay, so I was not expecting the flowery taste. It wasn't unpleasant, just unexpected. Another unexpected was the smoke, I've read where some of you describe a 'cool' smoke, but didn't really understand what you meant until I tried, Blend 432. It actually felt cool on my tongue. Who'da thunk it? That was a pretty neat thing and unexpected.
My original plan was to smoke several bowls of one tobacco before moving onto another, so I didn't confuse my taste buds. I didn't want to risk getting to a point where they all tasted the same. That plan went all to hell though and like I kid at Christmas, I had to rip into another package to see what wonder was awaiting me there. "The Cuban" ended up being my second choice of the day, err night, I should say. There were some subtle differences in the way it smelled compared to, Blend 432. To me, a person could actually smell the floral notes and once I lit up a bowl, I can actually say that it does taste like it smells. If you can imagine the word, ZING, smoking pot, that is how this tobacco tasted. It was very pleasant, but very mellow. Seriously, I mean really m-e-l-l-o-w. You could almost forget you are smoking, this stuff, it is so mellow. I tried to pay attention to how it smoked compared to the 432, but other than the definite hint of flowers, there wasn't much to compare between the two.
Will I keep smoking both of these varieties? You bet.

Have I fully learned to appreciate them? Hell no. I've got a long way to go yet.
I have noticed that the front of my tongue feels as if it is developing callouses. Is this normal?

It seems like the differences of some tobaccos can be very subtle and I'm not sure I'm the guy who can give a fair assessment, eventhough I am trying. Judging by the two tobaccos I smoked yesterday, I am still on the hunt for what I believe I am looking for in an everyday smoke. I will be keeping my eyes open for something a little fuller that hits the back of the tongue and doesn't have the taste of flowers.
For you men who have smoked these two tobaccos, am I giving them fair treatment in my assessment? What is your opinion of them?
Tex

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I haven't tried any of the stuff you have listed. But if you're looking for a 'fuller' taste I say try the Davidoff english or Scottish blends.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I don't know about callouses on the tongue, but I definitely have noticed that I am able to smoke more bowls in a day without getting a worn out leather-tongue.
As for finding an everyday smoke, I don't really have on myself. I have somewhere between 12-20 mason jars going at a given time. Some I tend to smoke more than others, but I like having a couple of tins going for each style of blend. The only one I've found myself smoking almost every day is Bengal Slices, but even then, it's just one out of my 3-5 bowls of the day.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A lot of folks 'mine' the You Tube Pipe Community for insight.

Most of these folks do not present their smoking in any fashion resembling sipping.

Constant blazes of re-light, huge draws, big puffs of smoke, and the inevitable generalization.

Be vigilant, and enjoy the exploration!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know this is my oft repeated rap, but let me suggest you buy in small quantities, bulk when possible. Don't discard/give away any tobacco you don't like, since your tastes may change over relatively short periods. Even if you find blends you love, keep the quantities modest. You may outgrow blends, or simply want to widen your experience. A few years of trying many different genres and blends wouldn't be too long to wait to buy 8 or 16 ounces. You will be amazed at how your preferences will evolve and develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.