PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've really enjoyed the Bjarne Viking Classic that I picked up as my first pipe:
BVC_zps749bf268.jpg

(Pic taken with my iPhone, lit by a cheap IKEA desk lamp)
So while doing "research", PAD seems to have kicked in - I've got a Viking Classic Churchwarden on order from PipesandCigars.com. Should arrive just in time to start breaking in while I watch the sun come up on Solstice morning... :puffy:

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
So far, so good. My first attempt at smoking was remarkably successful, with minimal tongue bite, only a hint of gurgling toward the end, and only one relight.
The second bowl was quite relaxing, though I think I went lighter on tamping than I needed to - had to relight a couple of times over the course of 30 minutes.
Been fighting off a cold all weekend, so may not get a chance to try a third bowl until the new pipe arrives... :D

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Welcome! This is an awesome hobby.
and only one relight.
One thing to know, and I think at least a few will agree, is don't equate number of relights to poor pipe smoking. Sometimes they just go out!
Use is as a time to reset your palette, grab something across the room you didn't want to get up for, or fix a cup of tea. If you're too concerned over the 'how' you will miss the 'what'

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Welcome Phred. I think you'll find pipe smoking/collecting to be a fantastic hobby. You have PAD now just wait until TAD kicks in too. I went from having a couple blends in my basement to having 25 in about 2 weeks. lol
Good luck with that beautiful pipe you have there.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Welcome phred, very nice pipe there. What kind of tobacco are you smoking out of it?

I agree with austinxpipe, don't worry about the relights.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks, all!
So far, I've just got a sample bag of Victorian Standard (B&M house blend, described as a Virginia/Cavendish aromatic blend). It's quite nice. Next on my list is one they call Jamaican Rum - we're doing a Steampunk Caribbean Cruise next March, and I figure I'll bring some of that along for the Brandy and Cigars gatherings...
I'm not particularly worried about relights - especially since I'm only smoking outdoors. I figure they'll happen - I was mostly just surprised that I wasn't constantly relighting the first time out!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
And here's pipe #2 - a Bjarne Viking Classic churchwarden:
ChuchwardenSmall_zps03ab8753.jpg

It's a little smaller than I expected - the bowl's about 1/2 - 2/3 the size of the sitter. And it smokes a little wetter, it seems - or maybe I just drool more when I'm smoking the Jamaican Rum blend... :D

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
i am a photographer. How dd you get pipe #1 to stand up that way? or was it photoshopped? Quite a nice pic.

Aug 14, 2012
How is that first pipe standing? Regarding relights, mentioned above, it seems that the pipe is more bitter when relighted. I am not sure if this is right, but I suspect that the moisture settles down and drips into the tobacco that is left. Does someone know about this?

Aug 14, 2012
How is that first pipe standing? Regarding relights, mentioned above, it seems that the pipe is more bitter when relighted. I am not sure if this is right, but I suspect that the moisture settles down and drips into the tobacco that is left. Does someone know about this?

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I'm with zonomo; I also thought that first pic was cool, I liked the spotlight effect you got. Both classy looking pipes!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
The first pipe is a sitter - it's flat on the bottom, and that particular sitter was the only one the B&M had that sat properly while empty.
The spotlight effect is a function of the desk lamp, which is a cheap IKEA LED gooseneck. Glad you all liked it!

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Nice pipes. Your first pipes are a lot nicer than what most of started with.
Here's to many years of enjoyable smokes out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.