Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:  No tags yet. 

And I was removing buildups and oxidation

(23 posts)
  1. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, shortly prior to attempting removing light oxidation and dirt buildups from this very estate Stanwell 29 Royal Briar I shoulda been refreshing my memory and watch our forum member Georged*YTube video on stem refurbish, I was very close to round edges on this stem despite I tried to be cautious I could ,on the first hand I ought to be using flat fingernail file wrapped with sanding paper to prevent this happening,not too bad damages but obviously, eventually I might have ended up with round stem shoulder' edges.Then there is still this one question, how to save the brand logo while polishing.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 month ago #
  2. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

I used toothpaste (whitening) and soft toothbrush on my vintage BBB, but it has a metal logo.

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wish I could figure out how to do it safely on my Sav Autograph. That VERY lightweight gold squiggle worries me.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  4. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let wait and see when Georged chimes in,he may have some sound advice to share.
    @Daniel7:I must keep in mind for future,but in this particular case even a mix of Toothpaste&BarTenderFriend(Vim)did not seem to give no particular effect.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seems like it could be covered with tape and then buffed around, but that's conjecture. Await the experts.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Then there is this trick some folks seem to favor,the oxiclean bath prior to sanding, says it will soften oxidation and makes sanding easier ,nontheless I'm a bit apprehensive of using that method because of possible chlorine smell and residue it may leave afterwards.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was always told that sanding was the last resort, past toothpaste, bar keepers friend, Baking soda, and the like.

I've used oxyclean on my Brighams stem to good results.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@MikeThopson,Thanks I have heard that too,once I had been using this bleach bath with one of my badly oxidized Savinelli pipe, while it definitely did help to get surface softer and easier to sand,but afterwards I couldn't get rid off that faint smell even I rinsed and plunged stem in boiling water.
    to note,I left the stem soaked overnight and the mix was strong enough something like in ratio of 60%

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The bleach soak thing creates as many problems as it solves---some of them VERY difficult to set right---and you'll end up sanding in every case, anyway.

So, since you know exactly where you want to go, it's faster and easier to travel 1000 miles west than 23000 east to get there.

Cold impress logo retention is sometimes possible, but usually not. Getting a stamp made and re-doing it is the only real answer, but that's both expensive and EXTREMELY difficult to do without specialized equipment (the necessary rolling action cannot be ignored or a partial stamp results, and accomplishing a controlled "spin" of the stem under heavy pressure can't be done manually with any degree of repeatable success).

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 month ago #
  10. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yes my Stanwell logo started chipping off right away. Then with curiosity, I scraped it with my fingernail. The whole thing came right off. Stupid on my end. But I've never dealt with a logo so easily damaged.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 month ago #
  11. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Depends on the Stanwell line. Most of my logos are steel of some sort, deeply implanted into the stem material. The lower cost ones are just printed on the stems and will inevitably come off.

I love the 29 shape so much I have two! One of my 29’s, The Trio, has the logo implanted but the lower grade 29, Brushed Brown, the logo is just printed on the stem.

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use an Oxiclean bath for the stem and put a dab of Vaseline on the logo to prevent damage. It works in most cases.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 1 month ago #
  13. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank You, Boys, for your input, Much obliged.

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Correcting the model number of this very pipe,it actually is now discontinued Stanwell model of 61 a Little bit slimmer and lighter to its older brother model of 29 which is still in production model line.

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. cachimbero

cachimbero

Login to Send PM

Paul, why don´t you try with a magic eraser? I have had good results with it. I have not had lasting results with the clorine solution.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I've also had decent results with the Magic Eraser product on stamped logos (Dave or DMCMTK told me about this).
    I have also pretty much abandoned the oxy-clean soak, using it in only the most heavily oxidized examples.

Al

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Magic eraser lightly wetted will work wonders for you. Then a coating of obsidian oil once the stem is clean.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Next Time I will give a magic eraser a try,with moderately oxidized stems, but this time around this very stem had very stubborn like oxidation and dirt build up, M Earser worked but not that effectively I was expecting,

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I won't use sandpaper anymore. I remove oxidation with a lighter and wet paper towel then thumb buff to a mirror finish with toothpaste.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  20. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Embers,That sound like a interesting procedure,if You don't mind,could you please briefly clarify how You are proceeding with this 'unconventional' method?

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

22. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Embers, thanks for sharing that! I will use that technique on my next stem cleaning. That will be a huge time saver.

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Embers,

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   scloyd, headhunter, buzkirk, bouwser, sumusfumus