PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
My wife insisted that we should get chickens now that the city council has deemed it to be allowable.

After 1 1/2 months, today we got our first

Photo0644.jpg

Gonna take awhile to get enough for that first omelet!

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I don't know there Pawpaw, consider yourself lucky.

The amount of effort on my part that has gone into keeping those 3 hens and SWMBO happy, coop and run and feed boxes and and and.... I'd better start seeing 3 eggs a day soon!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Just make sure you dont miss an egg and pick it up a few days late. Always sucks to find a baby chicken in your omelette, though it may be packed with vitamins and nutrients we're all missing out on otherwise...

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Noted Lonestar.

A partially formed chick would certainly throw my better half for a loop (-:

Be hard put to miss one by more than a few hours though, as often as the "Mother" hen checks on her girls!

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I was really hoping this thread said "A man with three buttocks." I was let down.
I never wanted to be a chicken-farmer in the first place! I wanted to be...a LUMBERJACK!

Leaping from Tree to Tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia with my best SWMBO by my side.

The Larch! The Pine! The noble Scotts Fir! The mighty little whooping tree! We'd sing! Sing! SING!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Dear Sir, I wish to complain in the strongest possible terms, about the song which you have just posted about the lumberjack who wears womens clothes.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
it's okay, lonestar, they is canadian lumberjackd... ;)
i loved monty python and brit humor... glad to see you do too.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I think that Monty Python song is one of the first songs Dad taught me as a child...
But there is nothing worse than raising turkeys. Our neighbor when Bootleg and I got married had a pair of turkeys and not only were they huge, they were stinky and they constantly broke out of their pen. Waking up to loud as hell gobbling right beneath your bedroom window is not a good way to start a day. If I were any more redneck, the jerk would be cleaning up feathers and buckshot.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I'm not a huge fan of chickens. I grew up on a goat dairy farm in costa rica, but also had chickens and cows and such when resources permitted. When I was little it was my duty to take out the compost to feed the pollos. As such, my feet were constantly scarred with peck marks from the hungry little bastards. :roll:

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Well cyndi, the chickens can be pretty loud and stinky as well.

Smell not so bad really but in that they are just now coming of laying age those 3 sure do raise the roof periodically throughout the day!
Ours being only 3 rather than a larger number make the feeding a bit safer Nathanial.

Of course I wear shoes around those crock-pot candidates (-;

Status
Not open for further replies.