PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
I had some time to kill the other day and got to goofing around with the photography setup, and thought, "What more logical combination is there than to combine Godzilla toys and pipe hobby commentary?" And voila, a new P&T web comic was born. I've encountered enough craziness in the online pipe hobby over my past 24 years of involvement in it that it's kind of an unending well to draw on :D
IzUeQNN.jpg

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Third panel, second strip--I just totally lost it for several minutes! :rofl:
Your 'actors' are simply perfect, and ever so expressive. From subtle to bombastic--they got the mojo.
Looking forward to the next installments!
Thanks, glad you enjoyed! Yeah, those toys are pretty impressively expressive. I'm amazed how articulated they are compared to the stuff we had when I was a kid. Also, doing the comics with the 'Zillas eliminates all the time sink and annoyance factor I had when I was drawing my own strip for KFP. I can put one of these together in an hour, as opposed to it taking a week of art and coloring.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Freakin' hilarious...well done.
"How much should this cost? It sounds like about $75 to me." :rofl:

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Good stuff, Trever. Have any other toys you could use?
OH. That is... a dangerous question to ask me. :twisted:

My total collection is something like 35 Godzillas and running, now, with an assortment of Gameras as well. There's not really much that I want in life, these days, so my wife buys me a Godzilla for every birthday and/or Christmas and I'm good. :D
One of the Pacific Rim robots will be joining the cast soon as the embodiment of a forum moderator.
"How much should this cost? It sounds like about $75 to me." :rofl:
I once had a guy send me a complete blueprint of a pipe design, with meticulous measurement of every single element and strident cautions to keep to *exact* indicated degrees of cant and curvature. He wanted me to make this pipe to his exact specs and include a custom-made silver shank cap (It was a well pipe, like a Peterson system). He also said he was prepared to pay, "as much as $75" for it.
At one point in my life, I knew many Baragon's. There are many of them today in a variety of fora for every interest across the net.
You captured him and the responses from others perfectly.
Next you need to bring in the elitist... 8)
I posted these on my Facebook page and have been surprised by how many people have found them funny who know zip about pipe stuff. Apparently the humor crosses the borders for anyone who's ever spent time with any fandom online.
The Elitist is a darn good idea... :twisted:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
How about a guest appearance of Gamera the Flying Turtle! He could light their pipes for them...

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
Okay, this needs to be a regular gig for you Trever. Simply outstanding! Well done.
Hey, if the pipe making thing doesn't work out for you, you can always fall back on the strip! :rofl:

May 31, 2012
Hot diggity damn!

This is GREAT stuff!

:P

I posted these on my Facebook page and have been surprised by how many people have found them funny who know zip about pipe stuff. Apparently the humor crosses the borders for anyone who's ever spent time with any fandom online
No doubt,

I can understand how it has cross-appeal, it's a universal theme for anybody who has ever been onna forum, and the expressiveness of the zilladudes is just incredible.
The possibilities are endless!
Next you need to bring in the elitist...

+1

...maybe modeled on The Sophisticate?

When I discovered his stuff I was like seriously shittin' brix of uncontrolled laughter!

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/lets-make-fun-of-dunhill

:lol:
...and eventually cover the whole spectrum,

this old post was inspired by your 2007 pipe forum insta-guide,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/define-your-forum-persona
King Ghidorah could be having a conversation with himself, each with a different personality, one likes cobs, one likes Danish freehands, and one likes British classics, or something?
note to self,

contact Trever about commissioning one of those $75 pipes, ask for a Godzilla themed vibe, must have a lizard skin adornment, maybe some teeth somehow, and a special shaped bowl that makes extra large smoke rings, the stem should look exactly like Godzilla's tail, and the stain should be charcoal gray because everyone knows that Zilla ain't green...gosh, it's great that Mr. Talbert can make these incredible pipes for such a fair price, and on the installment plan I'll be rockin' it Bo Diddley! Then maybe everyone would finally stop treatin' me like Minilla...

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Okay, this needs to be a regular gig for you Trever. Simply outstanding! Well done.
Hey, if the pipe making thing doesn't work out for you, you can always fall back on the strip! :rofl:
I suspect Toho might complain if I started trying to make money off of it. The comics are fun to do, but I'm leery of them becoming something that I *have* to do, too. Ultimately, it was combination of the time investment and the pressure to produce that caused me to abandon my hand-drawn strip, Kentucky Fried Popcorn, because it just soaked up too much time for something that wasn't meant to pay. The 'Zillas are handy because they eliminate all the time I used to spend drawing and coloring... which was fun, granted, but *really* took longer than was ideal.
I'm glad everyone is enjoying these so much! :D
Re: Ghidorah. Alas, I do not have a posable Ghidorah, though I do have him as a chibi. Which would be a really *weird* addition to the strip...