PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
OK, I'll probably get flamed for this, especially because the most valid response to the forthcoming confession is simply, "then don't buy one." And to my knowledge I haven't made any enemies on the forums yet, but that may change now. Apologies to all of the talented pipe makers out there with skills far exceeding mine, but I just feel the need to get this off my chest:
I find pipes with bamboo stems to be absolutely hideous.
004-002-7863_1.jpg

To me they just look like somebody attempted a shoddy home repair of a broken pipe with something just a step above duct tape.
I know, I know... then just don't buy one. Sigh. I feel better now. :oops: :roll: :D

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
No my cup of tea, but everyone has their own aesthetic, which is axiomatic.I like smooth Zulus, certainly nothing see anyone showing off.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
In general, I agree with you. For me though, bamboo generally looks silly on traditional pipe shapes.
On free form or non traditional shapes it can look pretty good.
Someone on the forum has a bamboo long stemmed pick axe (acorn maybe) which is one of the best looking pipes that I've ever seen.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
One man's morning after walk-of-shame is another man's closing time Queen! ... No, wait? Er, is that right?
Anyway, I agree with you; personally I'm not a fan of the bamboo infused pipes (Aren't cooking spoons, cutting boards, and sheets enough? And, what about the starving pandas in China? Think of the pandas!).
With that being said, I do, in fact own one; so, I think they can be done tastefully. But, as with hipster beards, why go tasteful when you can go, "Check me out, b*tches!"
And of course, we're forgetting about the pandas. ... Okay, okay ― no more drunk posting.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Bamboo has to be done "right" to be appreciated by me.I have a few which I made. I like the way they smoke and I love the way the bamboo colors with use.
Mike S.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not sure why you felt the need to post such. Well, I do in fact, it makes you feel better as you state. I could name brands, shapes, blends which do not appeal to me. The question is why should I do so. And as perdurabo so succinctly put it, my opinion matters not.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Well said that man, I'm with you michael Jordan! The only time I recall a bamboo pipe looking 'cool' was at London zoo when after waiting 20 years for a mate the resident panda's ship came in (so to speak). After the 5 second ritual was over, the panda sat down to smoke his abomination of a pipe, only to find it wasn't filled with Penzance! He duly ate the pipe, & everybody at London zoo is wondering if he'll ever get the urge again!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Don't really care for them much either. Then again, personal preferences do change. Twenty-four years ago, I only liked smooth pipes. That changed gears a few years back, now I mostly like blasts. Some day a bamboo may find its way into my collection.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Maybe I'm not as alone as I thought!

Not sure why you felt the need to post such. Well, I do in fact, it makes you feel better as you state. I could name brands, shapes, blends which do not appeal to me. The question is why should I do so. And as perdurabo so succinctly put it, my opinion matters not.

Honestly Warren, I have no good answer to this question, other than hoping it would spark an interesting discussion. If the post feels overly negative and is detracting from our community integrity, I'm OK with the mods taking it down.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Peck and Banjo both have some pipes with bamboo stems that are truly stunning but as a rule most I've seen are rather lack luster. Radice does some pipes with a carved stem that resembles bamboo. I find them very attractive.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Not sure why you felt the need to post such.
The same thought comes to me with repeated posts criticising certain blends over and over and over....

As to the bamboo, I've seen a few on here that were well done, very nice but for the most part I don't care for them. Some posted on here are truly beautiful pieces though.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I had a GBD pipe years ago with a bamboo stem and I could never warm up to it. The thing is, the only pipe I like a bamboo stem on is a cob, and I still don't have one of those yet. Yeah, I know, just another personal preference.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
If the post feels overly negative and is detracting from our community integrity, I'm OK with the mods taking it down.
Or ... the people that don't like it can just not respond instead of getting their panties all twisted up.

If we all had the same opinion and agreed on all things pipe related, the conversation would be quite dull.

Another vote with you, by the way, on the bamboo not really doing it for me.

Dec 24, 2012
I don't share your view, but I have no issues with you having a view different than my own.
We all have different aesthetic tastes. I for one generally dislike the volcano shape, for example.
Personally, I love the look of bamboo on a pipe when it is done well.
Here are a few that I own.
This first pipe by Tyler Lane, an egg, I find this one interesting because he sandblasted the bamboo, which I am told is extraordinarily difficult to do and takes a very light hand. I think the sandblasted bamboo really compliments the sandblasted bowl.
cGE1nCz.jpg

hlCBJDQ.jpg

This next pipe is a classic Danish billiard by Jess Chonowitsch. I do think it is an elegant pipe, and the bamboo makes the styling of the pipe look very organic, while at the same time not taking the spot light away from the briar.
YxLhIGa.jpg

mC4FyYy.jpg

The next one is a Ray Kurusu apple, with plateau. I love how the bamboo on this pipe is set off and highlighted by the decorative ring treatment on the stem.
ddtx75z.jpg

The last two pipes are by Satou. It is hard to imagine using any other material in the first pipe other than bamboo. Love it or hate it, it is a unique vision, and one that really can only be achieved by bamboo. The second Satou is also interesting because the bamboo Satou chose was darkened and distressed in places, which creates a look that some will like and others will hate, but which certianly creates some interesting visual cues.
TDT29TG.jpg

TZZBnmk.jpg

qXlcfif.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Not sure why you felt the need to post such.
Criticism is a healthy part of any community.
Or ... the people that don't like it can just not respond instead of getting their panties all twisted up.
This seems sane to me; they can also politely post contrasting opinions and reasoning. I've learned a lot of things by hearing from others why they like or dislike certain things.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I find pipes with bamboo stems to be absolutely hideous.
Side note in the form of a question: do you live in an area where bamboo frequently grows?
To many of us, bamboo means the world's worst weeding task.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I didn't like them until I saw bishbanjo's collection the other day. Now I want one.
@Peckinpahhombre- Wow ! I like those too. I really digging the egg shaped bowls you have. How many eggs in your collection? If I may be so bold. That first Satou is a thing of beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.