PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
What is it about cobs? Perhaps it was the time in 5th grade when we swiped a cob and raleigh from the grocery store and hacked our way through it behind the bus barn. Maybe it was seeing all those huck finn kids walking around Disneyland with their souvenir pipe. Or it could be that they can be had for 5 and change. Whatever the reason I did not hold them in very high regard.
I wanted a real pipe. A pipe made of dark wood with a cool shape and bragging rights. Nobody brags about cobs - I thought. Enter me into a new foray with pipes and a visit to a different forum. Every post I made had someone bragging about and suggesting that I get a cob. It was pretty militant - cob nazis. I saw some interesting cobs; but I still couldn't see myself with one.
So, yesterday, I find myself needing a new pipe. I was going to blend some tobaccos to hopefully make something useful out of some straight perique that my son brought home; and I didn't want to ruin my billiard. As much as I hated to, I took a cob home for the task. It was cheap, had a tapered bowl, and it was cheap. I didn't have very high expectations.
I have to say that the first draw off the cob was just about perfect. It was cool and had a great pull right from the start. My son came home and laughed at me and the cob - by the end of the night we were on the MM site looking for new toys. I kinda like the "dwarf" :)
Cobs, and cob smokers, I apologize for my former attitude and uneducated opinions. I am sorry for thinking poorly of the lowly cob. I like my cob and the way it smokes. I don't know if I am ready to display my cob to the rest of society - cobs are like mopeds - but I will admit that cobs are great to my fellow bretheren. If you have not tried a cob I would suggest going into it with an open mind. You may be as surprised as I was.
Here she is:
20151123_181148_resized_zps54olxvh9.jpg

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
On another forum I put up the following proposition which caused one member to go ballistic in a PM:
"Where there is hatred of the cob, there is ignorance."
Missouri Meerschaum, a National Treasure.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I imagine you will be forgiven, because many others were also reluctant moving over to the ol' maize tube before giving it a fair try, including myself. It only takes one sit with a quality cob to be converted into a believer. I'm glad that you had a good experience, and have broaden your horizons.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Forever Stems used to be made by Walker Briar Works who sold out to an executive from Missouri Meerschaum and his wife who is the prime mover in terms of production from what I have seen.

http://oldlogcabinpipeworks.com/

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Walker made them for both filtered and non-filtered MM cobs but I think Old Cabin only makes them for non-filtered models. The ones from Walker for filtered cobs will convert them to non-filtered. Regardless, a perfect draw and a great addition to a MM cob. You can just switch it from cob to cob.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Are they only straight stems?"
Apparently, I prefer a quarter-bent stem, but the stems are a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Yeah it was good. Especially with a straight virginia!
We sampled the virginia and burly in the cob so we would know what each tasted like by themselves. I think I may keep a little virginia around just for the cob.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Great story! I too recently purchased my first cob, and let me tell you it's the pipe I've used for my last 4-5 smokes. I somewhat feel guilty, like I've abandoned my briars ;) Can't wait to pick up a few more!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I find my self smoking my cobs more and more these days. It has been about 95 percent lately. I just don't like fussing around with the briars most of the time. I'm in it for the tobacco apparently, not the pipes.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
On this issue I have to eat some crow as well. I didn't like the Huck Finn image of smoking a cob; now I can't get through the day without a few. In particular, I enjoy the Shire from MM's cobbit line. They're great!

Mar 1, 2014
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cob-mods
I love cobs, specifically the MacArthur, which is basically an enormous Churchwarden with the most open draw you will ever find on a long stem pipe.

The Cobwardens are still awesome though, even if the draw on a vulcanite stem is restrictive I love those pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.