PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I'm looking at a pipe where the draught hole has drilled a few degrees off center. At first I thought this was simply poor workmanship, but the more I look at it, the hole placement appears to be the inevitable result of how the pipe is shaped. And I love the shape of the pipe.
Will the off center hole negatively affect the way the pipe smokes?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
The only experience most of us negatively have with an off center anything is wetness collection at the bottom (the gurgle). The gurgle is swift and strong in my one incorrectly drilled hole. It smokes fine otherwise but the gurgle shows up quickly.

jogilli

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
Get some rolling papers... Roll one into a ball and place it in the bottom of the bowl.. It'll absorb the juices... I'm a wet smoker anyway...so it doesn't matter for me.. Off center drilling isn't that big of a deal
James

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I've sure smoked a bunch of pipes over the years with the drilling a little off center (even Castello is famous for this on their Canadian shaped pipes). As long as the draft hole enters right at or just a hair above the bottom of the bowl, it should make absolutely no difference at all regarding the smoking qualities.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I wouldn't buy a pipe with an off-center draft; I'd return any such pipe that came by mail.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
One of my best smokers has an off center draft hole.....just saying

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Off center and too high are two very different things. From my experience making pipes, I have smoked both. An off center draft hole that enters the bowl at the correct height causes no problem with smoking, in my experience. Too high is not likely to give a good smoke without altering the bowl bottom. There are many ways to do that but most need to be taken out and put back in after a smoke. Pipe mud is the exception I guess.
Mike S.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
The Peterson 80s all seem to have the draft hole drilled to the very top of the stem. I don't think it makes any trouble with my smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one or two pipes were the airway enters the bowl slightly off center, and it has absolutely no effect that I can tell. If I were buying a pipe and the hole were pretty far off center, I'd probably return it, or not buy it, just to play it safe, unless it was a one of a kind that I just had to have, and wasn't expensive. One advantage of factory pipes, because the pipes are uniform shapes and made in continual succession, the drilling is often dead on. Artisanal pipes are drilled with loving care, but every one is a little different. Hence the Castello with an off-center airway, but likely a great pipe anyway.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I have a Pre-republic Peterson Shamrock that is drilled off center (not high) and it smokes just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.