An Interesting, Fair Read on Health for Once!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamecockpiper

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
Stumbled across this site a day or two ago, seems to make a great deal of factual sense, and really puts things into a realistic perspective on health effects. Not a popular topic I know, although this is useful, and surprisingly good, information to hear. Just wanted to pass it along!
http://rodutobaccotruth.blogspot.com/2012/08/pipe-smoking-and-health.html

gamecockpiper

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
I'd especially like to draw attention to the paragraph below the chart that mentions alcohol use...May allay many fears for some people, especially new pipers!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for bringing this article to our attention. Cigarette smoking was the bane of our family, although none of us ever caught anything from it (I quit smoking cigarettes a long time ago, and of course now smoke pipes now), and I think alcohol drinkers are probably at more risk for oral cancers than pipe smokers, especially when heavy drinking is combined with cigarette smoking. Thanks again!

gamecockpiper

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
No problem! Happy to share it. The alcohol was always my question too, wouldn't a heavy drinker be far more at risk than a light pipe smoker? Makes sense to me!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Thanks for the link. I'll add it to my list of links of Pipe/Cigar Smoking and Health.
In regards to alcohol, there is an elevated risk for smokers of pipes, cigars, cigarettes when drinking alcohol. Since learning this I've greatly reduced my alcohol intake when smoking a pipe. I prefer coffee anyway, so that helps. As for coffee I believe there was a study that showed that drinking 4 cups of coffee a day helped reduce the risk of oral cancers.
I figure if I drink coffee while smoking my pipe I'm cancelling one another out. :mrgreen:

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I only inhale on the first light, and drink alcohol only with one bowl a day at most. I smoke ten small bowls, probably equal to 3 normal bowls per day if that. I think I'm okay.

str8musicman

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Los Angeles
Hey when it's your time to go, your gonna go. That's my theory... you could be the healthiest person in the world, but those rock hard abs are not going to save you from a bus hitting you. We all have our vices, enjoy the life you have, no regrets when that reaper taps on your shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.